Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brussel Sprout stalks  (Read 2880 times)

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
Brussel Sprout stalks
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:08:10 pm »
Just clearing last years plots and lifted a number of large (tall and fat) Brussel Sprout stalks. Do they go in the compost bin as lifted or do I need to pulp them first? Seems to me they might take a long time to break down and rot. Same applies to cabbage and kale stalks. Animals won't eat the stalks.
And on the subject of kale, I grew Dwarf Green Curley and Red Russian last year. Didn't like the red but would like to grow the big version of Green Curley. Does anyone know a variety/source for this?
Thank you.

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Brussel Sprout stalks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:07:52 pm »
OH was at the allotment doing exactly the same this afternoon. 

Sprout stalks were put in compost bin ( large green spaceship style)  and chopped up into 3-4 inch chunks with a sharp spade.  Later in the year the contents of this bin will get transferred into the smaller one ( normal sized black one) to finish composting down.

What animals do you have?

Goats, and I am assuming sheep, will eat the stalks if they are split down the middle.  All that may be left will be chewed outer ?skin?.   Keeps them occupied and stops them munching on sheds  ;D

Perhaps poultry will enjoy the split stalks hung up?

I am sure someone will be along soon and help with the Kale question

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 05:46:45 pm »
It's usually recommended that you crush the stalks, perhaps with a tractor or car, backwards and forewards on concrete, before adding to compost heap.

There is no 'large green curled' but there are plenty of alternatives such as 'Reflex' and 'Darkibor'.
I grow DGC every year and usually get plants just about as big as sprouting broccoli plants - it can depend on the space and fertility you give them.  This year my outdoor kale has been pigeoned  :rant:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 09:18:05 pm »
cattle and sheep will certainly eat them, sheep not so much.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 12:48:28 pm »
Our rabbits eat our sprout stocks

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 01:50:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I have Highland Cattle and they show no interest other than picking the top leaves.
During the snow the only things poking up above the blanket were leeks and sprouts. The wild rabbits ate the leeks but left the sprouts. Fussy animals about here.
I have now been smashing the stalks with a hammer against a log then they go into the compost pile. Lots of fibrous  material but not much else.
Thanks FW about the kale. I already got 'Reflex' to add to the Dwarf Curly for this year. I suppose that given the chance the curly would grow bigger but anything over 6" is fair game to my wife who ignores the principle of cutting from the bottom.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:22 am »
So do I  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS