Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My new venture  (Read 1293 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
My new venture
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:48:04 pm »
In an attempt to make the small holding profitable and to fight the corner for rare breeds, I have taken the first steps on my new (and very exciting) venture breeding a variety of rare breed poultry for the back garden  market.

I would really appreciate some support (and well wishes  :roflanim: ) [size=78%]from fellow smallholding, poultry enthusiasts as I am sure you can understand my desire behind this project.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]I am starting out small with just a few different breeds but hope to add lots more variety over the next couple of years. I have done a lot of research and am confident I can make this work. Please like my Facebook page (if you are on Facebook) and invite your friends to do the same. [size=78%][/size][size=78%]https://www.facebook.com/KirktonFarm/[/size]

Based in Fife but can send hens nationwide via courier 👍

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: My new venture
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 06:20:10 pm »
I can't help much with advice or whatever, but I can offer well wishes. Good luck.

What I would suggest though is that you partner up with someone who produces "chicken coups", if you haven't already done so, or start making them yourself. 
I'm thinking of all those city folk now looking for their post-Covid country residences and wanting a neat, easy little chickens package so they can feel like real country folk with, perhaps, surplus produce to sell at the road-side.

"Now Roddy, I know you don't like chickens much, but a small flock/coup would be so great for the kids and they could sell eggs at the roadside for their pocket money and I really liked those little fluffy ones we saw at the Royal ... um, um, where were we Roddy?" 
[Stef' - may I interrupt before hubby remembers which right Royal rural show that was - I would like to suggest it might have been the Essex show or maybe it was the Fife show on your one-time (let's do something different this year) visit to Scotland. Both places have some lovely market towns and villages you should check out with very welcoming communities and great chicken breeders! ]   ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:13:03 am by arobwk »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:06:47 pm »
That is a very good point, arobwk.

I remember when we bought our first hens - two for thirty pounds. Great!

But then I bought I don't know how much timber and chicken wire to make a house and run for them. Even just becoming a reseller for another manufacturer and a feeder / drinker supplier would enable you to do a really good hen starter pack, and I'll bet the return from that would totally eclipse sales of the birds themselves.

Anyway, good luck, nic99 - we need more people like you.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 08:09:40 pm »
Thank you, much appreciated. Certainly something to consider there.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 08:56:14 pm »
I find selling hatching eggs quite profitable - definitelly much more than selling eating eggs.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS