Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hirsel Hebrideans, hello!  (Read 1078 times)

Gillies

• Joined Jun 2020
Hirsel Hebrideans, hello!
« on: February 13, 2021, 10:10:37 am »
Hi all! We've been learning from this site since we started keeping sheep in 2015, but are just now joining the community for reals. We're Donald and Donna Gillies, and we have a small farm in Ardgay in the Scottish Highlands called The Hirsel. We raise Hebridean sheep and GOS pigs. We love our pigs, but the sheep are our passion. We have a mixed flock of registered and unregistered pure breeds, including what are currently the only white Hebrideans that we know of. We love the ancient mixed colours of this hardy breed, and have 'raddies' (russets) and silverbacks, as well as the modern traditional jet black. We have a website www.thehirsel.com, and a FB page and instagram #thehirsel.  Thanks for being out there in the ethernet - it's good to meet you!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hirsel Hebrideans, hello!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:05:05 pm »
Oh, another member who can talk about white and other ancient Hebs!  You probably already know of our @Fleecewife, but I will let her introduce herself and her sheep - past and present - herself :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 10:47:41 pm »
 :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:29:52 pm »
Hi Hirsel  :wave: from the Gladstone flock of Ancient Type Hebrideans.

I could be up for a discussion on white Hebs some time, but not tonight - too late for me!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS