Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rollers V Homers?  (Read 1245 times)

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
Rollers V Homers?
« on: February 09, 2021, 04:40:34 pm »

The cheapest options for pigeons (at the bottom of the learning curve looking up) seem to be rollers and homers and all I want to do is raise squabs for my table.

Which one would be best for that?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Rollers V Homers?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 05:45:33 pm »
Do you ever fancy having a nice thick juicy beef steak GBov ?  LoL

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 06:51:16 pm »
Do you ever fancy having a nice thick juicy beef steak GBov ?  LoL

OMG YES!!!!

But my garden is too small.  :(

I did once buy a young bull and had it delivered to the Fish Camp where I was living at the time.  Always an interesting neighbor, me.  :roflanim:  Ooooooo it was nice to have an entire cow in my freezer, feeding teens is such a challenge.  And I added butchering an entire cow by myself to my CV.

In the courtyard I have room for 8 large rabbit cages - with a bit of stacking - a small coop for three laying hens (they will get a tiny bit of running round per day - and on the sidewall, I can build a rat proof  :fc: cage for 6 pair of pigeons.  6 ft high, 12 feet long, and 30 inches deep will fit if I build it in situ and from reading, it should fit the birds easily. 

The metal shed will house feed and hay and tools and the like.

Surprisingly, that space can produce more poundage of meat per year than an entire cow.  And MUCH easier to butcher! 

The spent bedding/manure goes straight into the veg as mulch - read Ruth Stout for the best ever gardening advice for aging gardeners - and it all keeps me active and happy.

Setting it all up from scratch though, ugh, I do miss everything we had to leave behind in Florida, esp my rabbits.  They are going to be almost impossible to replace.

The pigeons are the last bit and am still sorting out what and when and how.  Getting them to me has been sorted, did you know that one can get 12 pigeons delivered anywhere in the UK for fifty quid?  How cool is that!

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 03:04:35 pm »
Homers are a slightly bigger carcass and less vulnerable to attack from sparrow Hawks if you're having them free flying. If you're rural they will also forage a little for themselves, but this could be risky as you won't be in control of what they pump into the squabs...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS