Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted: fertile runner duck eggs  (Read 1437 times)

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
Wanted: fertile runner duck eggs
« on: February 04, 2021, 09:29:11 pm »
I meant to buy some runner ducklings this spring, but I can't find anyone that lives locally that sells them. My understanding is that we aren't allowed to travel to buy animals. So I thought I'd try hatching my own. Does anyone have any fertile eggs to sell?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Wanted: fertile runner duck eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:10:41 pm »
There is no restriction on travelling to buy animals. There maybe local restrictions in place on poultry where there are avian flu outbreaks.

Unless people have artificial lights it is too early for ducks to lay so there wont be many hatching eggs available yet.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 12:40:07 pm »
Where aboits are you in the country?
We will have some khaki Campbell and Campbell cross Hookbill hopefully soon - when they start laying in spring , maybe early March?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:50:30 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I'm in Suffolk. I didn't realise you're allowed to travel to buy animals. In that case I think there's someone about 20 min drive away that I could buy some ducklings from in the spring.

As an aside, I saw an advert on Ebay for fertile runner duck eggs,  £1000 for six. Postage was free though !

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 03:03:57 pm »
As an aside, I saw an advert on Ebay for fertile runner duck eggs,  £1000 for six. Postage was free though !
Don't worry! They don't actually expect anyone to buy the eggs for that much!
As an experienced ebay seller (I make a living from it) I can tell you what they are doing:
They kept the listing from last year, and as the ducks are not laying atm they increased the price to discourage people from buying for now. When the ducks start laying again they will lower the price.
Older listing, with more people watching it, and many more views will get more clicks than new listings, once they lower the price.
You might as well start watching that one, you will get notification as soon as they change the price  ;)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS