Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4x4 or not ????  (Read 2247 times)

The sheep whisperer

• Joined Jan 2021
4x4 or not ????
« on: January 29, 2021, 05:31:39 pm »
Do you all have / need a 4x4 for farm/ Smallholding etc ?
If so please share your experiences of good and bad etc ....pickups or cars
Currently using an Audi estate but I feel it’s just not suitable for the muddy boots, and general load carrier and getting across wet grass is a definite no no and not really a tow vehicle
Thanks people  :thumbsup:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: 4x4 or not ????
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 08:36:26 pm »
I have read some folk's advice ont' web that 'proper' gnarly off-road/mud tyres are sufficient to make a 2x4 vehicle quite adequate for farm-type work:  I wouldn't know whether that is by fitting gnarly to all 4 wheels or just the 2x drive wheels.  I would guess though that proper off-road/mud tyres best fitted to all 4 corners to help non-drive end from slipping side to side.

I personally went for a 4x4 Dacia Duster: actually quite well designed for off-roading and comes with well-proven Nissan electronic 4wd modes and very low 1st gear ratio. Wading depth not up there with the best but that didn't matter for my purposes. 
I have upgraded tyres once already but with intermediates cos I do decent road mileage:  car manages on my sloping fields most of the time, but hasn't coped at all well as of late.  So, I will be going for real gnarly off-road tyres shortly (as I'm again down to 3mm)! 

In summary, I would say the right tyres really do matter, 4wd or not.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:44:56 pm by arobwk »

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 01:20:38 am »
I have  Nissan Pathfinder for use on the farm. It is for farm use only as otherwise the road tax would be crippling. Driving across fields, towing etc. Its perfect. I collect firewood in it, for that I would say the equivalent Navara would be better. If you have the space and budget then having a "farm truck" is great.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 07:39:49 am »
quad does farm stuff.    Car does rest!    Unless you need to tow a large trailer .... we have a landrover (road tyres) which pulls livestock trailer but we have cattle.   If you stick to sheep a 4x4 not necessary.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

The sheep whisperer

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:51:41 am »
Yes I’m looking for a good all rounder , reasonably tidy/ reliable for work commute 60 mile round trip and economy. But able to lug stuff,tow a sheep trailer etc etc
Duster had crossed my mind , boot looks huge ????

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 11:32:12 am »
I have a 2004 fabia estate 1.9tdi I paid £400 for it 5 years ago when I was between cars its passed its mot every year with minimal work , its extremely economical 55mpg cheep tax etc but a good friend has offed me a low mileage ranger truck am torn between the 2 , car is worth less to any one elce as its been used as a work hores moving every thing about etc but the truck its right money and 4x4 etc ha not sure what to do

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 01:34:54 pm »
We have a small 28hp tractor (not 4wd), which does all the field work we need it to do, and the van (Renault Master MWB, high roof) does the rest - towing trailer, collecting feed, 35 hay/straw bales at a time, goats to vets etc (they hop in, safe penning inside) and I use it for overnight shows to sleep in. Even without the show aspect, I would now always prefer a van to 4 x 4. Van also doubled up for "camper" holiday last summer - easy to stop on the roadside and sleep in. Downside is 2ndhand vans have just gone up in price since last summer....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 06:02:53 pm »
I have a 2004 fabia estate 1.9tdi I paid £400 for it 5 years ago when I was between cars its passed its mot every year with minimal work , its extremely economical 55mpg cheep tax etc but a good friend has offed me a low mileage ranger truck am torn between the 2 , car is worth less to any one elce as its been used as a work hores moving every thing about etc but the truck its right money and 4x4 etc ha not sure what to do
Buy the ranger; Keep one of them for the farm and don't tax it
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 07:09:55 pm »
I make do with an vauxhall astra estate and tow a 6x4 livestock trailer to move sheep, but have considered having a 4x4 on 'agri' registration - but am not sure what you can do on road legally when registered as agricultural.

I make do with an vauxhall astra estate and tow a 6x4 livestock trailer to move sheep, but have considered having a 4x4 on 'agri' registration - but am not sure what you can do on road legally when registered as agricultural.

have quad & tractor for on land use, but would like to diversify into cattle and I can't tow them with the astra
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:12:16 pm by mab »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 08:42:13 pm »
As indicated by the variety of replies/options, it all comes down to individual circumstances:  in my case I need a decent off-road capable "car" just to get to my operating/storage/garaging site before I can swap to using 4WD tractor for field ops!  (Yes, I could abandon car at gateway and walk, but I also generally have gardening equip' to off-load/load-up.)

Re Dacia Duster; boot is, indeed, quite large (partly why I bought it), but it's not lined out, off-the-shelf, for really dirty loads:  I have a 3rd party boot liner, but it's not perfect. Also, if large trailer/animal transporter in mind, then Duster limit is 1,500kg braked and I reckon a vehicle with 2,000kg minimum is a better all-round bet (Nissan Trail say, or other):  I now wish I'd gone for something with higher tow limit for moving equipment on-road to broaden opportunities for grounds maintenance biz!

I also wish there were more options for 4WD vans:  not sure why manufacturers have generally ignored this sector.   

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:44:24 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 08:43:51 pm »
Had to tow "Fluffs" (the Dacia Duster) out of a quagmire yesterday with the tractor in the poring rain.  (I was over-confident about venturing up to store site for unloading the car boot.  I got there, but couldn't get back without tractor assistance.)  Not a happy occurrence and those gnarly replacement tyres are getting closer by the minute. 

The sheep whisperer

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 07:49:48 pm »
Got the chance of an old R reg land cruiser Lwb to use as van,tractor, tow truck but worried it's a it old and may turn out to be trouble and a money pit. A pick up would be my ideal motor but expensive and lots have the vat to add also.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 08:22:18 pm »
That is getting a bit old, but who knows?  I don't.  Have you checked for a Toyota Land Cruiser web-site/Toyota forum sub-site ?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 07:30:19 am »
I have a Shogun but needed a vehicle that could tow at least 3 tonnes.

My son had a Ranger and I could not drive it any distance as I found the footwell/seating angles made it very uncomfortable for me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS