Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cow in calf  (Read 6449 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Cow in calf
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 11:41:49 am »
Essentially she should have been advertised as run with bull between X dates, rather than in calf.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 12:52:37 pm »
In the North of England there is a difference in price between "running with bull" and "in calf".  If the seller said the latter but it turns out it was the former, it would certainly be worth asking for a bit of a refund on good faith.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 12:53:00 pm »
Could you get the cow pregnancy tested either way and if in calf albeit september you haven't lost out, if not and you pursue Compensation add the cost of scanning on.

i think the wording is crucial if it says in "calf due any day" then its a bit misleading and you have put the trust in the farmer who has potentially taken the piss and other people need to avoiid been mislead by them again.

hope you get it sorted

in a time when farmers are being battered from pillow to post, i think we should be looking out for each other!
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 04:09:30 pm »
I'm presuming this is your first venture into cattle? As it would normally be very obvious by the swollen udder and vulva if a cow was actually due any day. It would therefore possibly seem to be a deliberate attempt at deception and highly unlikely you'll get any compensation without a load of hassle. It would even be very difficult to quantify how much compensation (if any) you were owed as the vendor could say, with it being a job lot, that she hadn't charged any extra for the unverified pregnancy of your cow. Some things have to be put down to experience. I would move on and get the cow bulled as soon as possible, to cut your losses.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 04:18:56 pm »
In the North of England there is a difference in price between "running with bull" and "in calf".  If the seller said the latter but it turns out it was the former, it would certainly be worth asking for a bit of a refund on good faith.
Not just in the North of England; and nothing is a guarantee. Cows slip calves so even a cow PD'd in calf may not actually produce one.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 07:18:05 am »
I think you need to put this down to experience and move on.    The seller is abviously pulling a fast one by suggesting she might be in calf due Sept too.... not worth the fight.

Enjoy your cows and look forward to calves next yr.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 01:17:48 pm »

Enjoy your cows and look forward to calves next yr.

Next year is a long wait...... It was me last year and when I'm brave enough to get the vet out, hopefully it will be me in December!

Bloody animals!!! Moddycoddled and spoilt and still drive me nuts!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS