Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aaaargh - trouble getting new hens into coop  (Read 1857 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Aaaargh - trouble getting new hens into coop
« on: January 12, 2021, 05:52:08 pm »
Evening All  :wave:

Our local free range (not at the moment obvs) commercial laying hen operation had a rehoming of their 'spent' (13months old!) hens at the weekend.

We collected 4, and put them straight into their new coop. Shut them in their for 3 days and then they were out today (covered run). Unfortunately they are having trouble identifying with their new coop - which is raised 2 foot off the ground, with a ramp. They have come from a big field with barn accommodation setup - and they've been in the barn since 13th Dec. They seem pretty fixated on our garden shed which is outside the run and ignoring the coop. I had to round them up this evening and pop them in the  coop.

I've shut down the outside run so they can't get as close to the shed, but short of shutting them in the coop again for several more days has anyone any other tips please?

TIA

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Aaaargh - trouble getting new hens into coop
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 06:17:12 pm »
Normally takes a week to 10 days of putting new chickens to bed every night before they get the idea.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:39:41 pm »
Ah haa - ok fair enough, thanks for that.
I hate catching hens, feel like I'm traumatising them the whole time! I go as quietly and gently as possible but there is the inevitable trapping scenario being played out each time.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:55:53 pm »
Have you tried chucking a handful of grain in the coop when you want them to go in?  Maybe sprinkle some up the ramp so they get the idea and follow the trail up.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 01:03:29 pm »
Have you tried chucking a handful of grain in the coop when you want them to go in?  Maybe sprinkle some up the ramp so they get the idea and follow the trail up.
I do that even now with my flighty Wyandottes - they are stupid!  Standing there freezing, dark - right next to the doorway - and no it's not red mites or anything else  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 08:44:34 pm »
Pleased to report that the hens have now put themselves to bed 2 nights in a row  :excited:  Shutting the run down seemed to help quite a bit - I had sprinkled corn all the way up the ramps as well.
Phew  :thumbsup:

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:22:03 am »
Put a light on inside the coop. As it goes darker they will gravitate to it. Voila, hens in the coop.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS