Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleece loss around ankles  (Read 2842 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Fleece loss around ankles
« on: January 09, 2021, 03:59:32 pm »
Has anyone ever experienced a sheep losing fleece around ankles? The skin looks pink and a bit white powdery. She's limping too.
Could this be scald? Or mites?
If it's scald, can it spread to the other sheep?
Thank you for any thoughts

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Fleece loss around ankles
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 07:00:31 pm »
Two things come to mind , in wet /muddy conditions  around forage feeders /water troughs you can get hair loss  or  CODD can have hair loss as  a symptom . If you can take pictures show /send them to your vet

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 07:42:38 pm »
Thank you. Its dry where we are, but we've had some very hard frosts so wondered if lying on the cold ground could have caused it. I've not heard of CODD. Will research this now. Thanks

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 07:52:56 pm »
Just been reading about CODD!!! Sounds horrendous, I really hope it's not that  :-\

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 09:32:51 pm »
If you’re not sure what you’re dealing with get the vet to come look. A lot of foot conditions are contagious so could spread to your other sheep, and if a sheep is lame it needs treating.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:00:47 pm »
Yes, I'm going to ring the vet Monday morning. We've had foot issues in the past and always dealt with using engemycin spray, never had loss of fleece around the ankles, so feeling quite worried. We've had a ram on loan, so maybe he bought something with him..... Never again!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 10:15:46 pm »
Oh no  :tired:  hope you get it sorted soon, hopefully just a touch of scald  :fc:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 08:04:58 am »
If you’re not sure what you’re dealing with get the vet to come look. A lot of foot conditions are contagious so could spread to your other sheep, and if a sheep is lame it needs treating.

Take sheep to the vets .... MUCH cheaper.   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 08:09:30 am »

Take sheep to the vets .... MUCH cheaper.

Some vets don’t do this, I know our vets don’t (they are reasonably priced though).

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 08:13:02 am »
[/quote]

Some vets don’t do this, I know our vets don’t (they are reasonably priced though).
[/quote]

difference of over £50 here
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 08:40:47 am »

difference of over £50 here

Our vets don’t charge a call out fee in office hours, just the time spent on the animal plus any drugs.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 06:46:54 pm »
It is CODD! I'm gutted. I've been given alamycin la and engemycin spray. It's even spread to my goats. I feel so guilty and also terribly worried I'll never get rid of it.
I hired the ram off a very well known and highly respected breeder. Should I let her know?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 07:10:26 pm »
Re Goats - Please make sure you are not given Tilmicosin - which is Mycotil (spelling) - and fatal to goats, though ok for sheep. Just in case you find the Alamycin is not doing the trick and need to swap to different AB's.  Engemycin and Alamycin LA is good though, you may have to repeat the Alamycin more often for the goats than for sheep, different rates of metabolism.

Fingers crossed it works.

Have you brought any other sheep/goats onto your farm in the last year? If no, then the ram may well have introduced it... is he affected as well? If yes, definitely speak to the breeder.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 07:37:30 pm »
Re Goats - Please make sure you are not given Tilmicosin - which is Mycotil (spelling) - and fatal to goats, though ok for sheep. Just in case you find the Alamycin is not doing the trick and need to swap to different AB's.  Engemycin and Alamycin LA is good though, you may have to repeat the Alamycin more often for the goats than for sheep, different rates of metabolism.

Fingers crossed it works.

Have you brought any other sheep/goats onto your farm in the last year? If no, then the ram may well have introduced it... is he affected as well? If yes, definitely speak to the breeder.

Micotil is vet administration ONLY - so the OP should not have it in their med box! So hopefully the vet knows that it isn’t suitable for goats.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 07:46:28 pm »
Thanks both. I'm really hoping it will clear up. I've had the goats for years and never had any serious feet issues. I feel so stupid, I let them on to pasture the sheep had recently left. Such a stupid error. Is it right it can live in the soil for30 days? Id like to avoid reinfection. We've had very heavy frosts which might kill it....

I will speak to the owner of the ram, but sadly she is very ill herself and I know she's giving up her sheep. I don't really want to burden her with more bad news!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS