Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: transporting pigs and sheep  (Read 5041 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
transporting pigs and sheep
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:47 pm »
Can pigs travel in the same trailer, at the same time, as sheep- obviously seperated by partitions- or must they be travelled seperately.??? 
cheers Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: transporting pigs and sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:36:48 am »
Presuming you mean a single journey from holding a to holding b or from holding a to abattoir, then I am fairly sure that the answer is yes, subject to seperation as you state.  If to abattoir, then check with them that they are happy to receive together.

"EU transport reg 1/2005 states in chapter 3 section 1.12
1.12. Animals shall be handled and transported separately in the following cases:
(a) animals of different species;
(b) animals of significantly different sizes or ages;
(c) adult breeding boars;
(d) sexually mature males from females;
(f) animals hostile to each other;
(g) tied animals from untied animals.
1.13. Points (a), (b), and  (c) of paragraph 1.12. shall not apply where the animals have been raised in compatible groups, are accustomed to each other, where separation will cause distress or where females are accompanied by dependent young."

Given that this regulation covers road, rail, air and sea, the "transported seperately" must mean physical seperation, rather than different journey, otherwise a cargo ship would be unable to have sheep and goats, or cattle and pigs, and that would just not make sense. Also since the "seperation" is clearly to prevent adverse interaction, then preventing this by partitions would I believe satisfy.

If you are talking about multiple pick-ups and drops then come back, as it could get complicated depending on what you are doing!

You could confirm this with the Defra Animal Welfare Team on 0207 238 5907

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:15:00 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:34:55 am »
thanks, i phoned the abbotoir this morning and they advised the same. they will take the pigs on the same day as the sheep, or rather the other way round! 

what they did tell me, which I didnt know, was that for livestock you must have, by law, side rails for the ramp!!  Mmmmm, i was going to take the pigs in my horse tralier. It was my shepherd guru who wants to take a few sheep and wanted to share the journey. He has side ramps on his converted horse trailer and partitions too. So will see if i can get his trailer anyway!

Emma T

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:54:42 am »
Yes, is frequently missed as a requirement as horse trailers don't have them to prevent horses rearing and injuring themselves.

It comes under the same Chapter 3, para 1.3
Facilities and procedures
1.3. Facilities for loading and unloading, including the flooring, shall be designed, constructed, maintained and operated so as to:
(a) prevent injury and suffering and minimise excitement and distress during animal movements as well as to ensure the safety of the animals. In particular, surfaces shall not be slippery and lateral protections shall be
provided so as to prevent animals from escaping;
(b) be cleaned and disinfected.
1.4. (a) Ramps shall not be steeper than an angle of 20 degrees, that is 36,4 % to the horizontal for pigs. Where the slope is steeper than 10 degrees, that is 17,6 % to the horizontal, ramps shall be fitted with a system, such as provided by foot battens, which ensure that the animals climb or go down without risks or difficulties;
The appropriate bit being the "lateral protections" in (a) !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:25:10 pm »
thanks, I now have to do a quick think to work out a system for the future. for this trip will have to beg borrow or perloin the proper gear!!
Cheers Emma T

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 04:04:10 pm »
If you can transport a couple of 4 ft hurdles in your car, than you should be able to just tie them to the side of the ramp/trailer sides for unloading. Not sure if this is legal.

I have seen people bringing their pigs in horsetrailers, although I would always be worried that they smash the inside of a pristine horsetrailer to pieces....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS