Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apples for exposed northern sites?  (Read 8031 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Apples for exposed northern sites?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 07:28:56 pm »

Bad luck being stuck in a hotel.  Are you allowed out and about?

Sadly I haven't been allowed to set foot out of my room since arriving on the 30th Dec.
I work on a rig and there was a Covid outbreak, I tested positive (but have not had any symptoms) so was flown in and put into the local government run isolation hotel.

I have once this week spoken to someone outside the window but that's been the total of my human contact so far this year.

Big day on Saturday though... I'll be allowed out.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 09:36:26 pm »
I like George Cave, (although I do feel obliged to like anything by that does well!).
I'd describe it as like Cox  but slightly less tangy / acidic, possibly slightly less crisp and a bit bigger.
The fruit I get are usually quite 'clean' and good looking.

Basically, yes I enjoy eating them and would recommend them.

The UK in general and supermarkets in particular are terrible for local food so you're not along in wanting to rant about it!

I'm stuck in a hotel in Norway (long story) just now and last night had apple juice produced in this district and most of the salad & tomatoes are grown locally even in winter (there's several massive glasshouses within a few km where I am).

There are commercial orchards around Bergen (possibly further north, I don't know) - that's like having commercial orchards at Fort William or Kinlochbervie!
Norway has very different climate than UK. Much better summer much further north for example. I used to spend summers in Tonsberg  ;) south of Oslo. Much colder winters of course but muchxmore predictible than UK (especially Scotland).
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 10:10:48 pm »
Inland and in the North, yes, Norway is very different to the UK but not so much on the west coast.  I find Stavanger pretty similar to Inverness and Bergen is not dissimilar to Fort William both in temperature and precipitation.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 11:40:29 pm »
Well it rains 300 days a year in Bergen. I've only been to Fort William once in my life, and only passing through unfortunately.

I spent most of my time of South Coast of Norway, so obviously very different than West Coast and especially North.
It is as varied in climates as UK.
I went to Boston (the one in Lincolnshire, not Massachusetts  :innocent: ) last summer, and all i could see around me was completely flat fields full of cabbage and kale - as far as eye can see  :thinking:
Its amazing what you can and can't grow in some gardens.

During lockdown I really wanted to go to Turkey, so started reading about growing veg around there. Amazing amount of varieties available!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS