Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe lamb bleeding from vulva  (Read 5739 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Ewe lamb bleeding from vulva
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 03:16:49 pm »
I just assumed all mammals menstruated the same as us, although should’ve been obvious I guess that at least sheep were different as only fertile for one period of a year. Another “assume” lesson learnt!

I checked on the little lady again today and still the same. It’s not running out, and is definitely a bright (therefore fresh I think) blood. It’s not stained on her wool, and before I gave her a little wipe it looked like it was dry (so maybe I should’ve left alone). OH keeps suggesting a jab but not giving her ABs for what may be no reason. Vets never called me back so will maybe try them again.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 04:05:51 pm »
If she is still there today, eating and moving well, I would just continue to observe. The vet will not suggest anything else, possibly an AB or anti-inflammatory injection, but really he probably hasn't got any more an idea of what is wrong (if indeed there is something wrong).

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 06:10:51 pm »
Having seen the picture you posted else where , the scour looked really bad so could be intestinal damage plus the vulva is inflamed and twisted so could be a urinary infection with kidney damage . Send the picture to your vet and then speak to them for treatment

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 12:29:20 am »
Having seen the picture you posted else where , the scour looked really bad so could be intestinal damage plus the vulva is inflamed and twisted so could be a urinary infection with kidney damage . Send the picture to your vet and then speak to them for treatment

Can we see the picture?  It might help.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 09:00:44 pm »
Here’s the pic  :fc:

When I checked her yesterday there was no blood present so I’ll just keep an eye on her for now. Maybe it was related to some sort of sexual maturity and it was a dog-like spotting thing?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 12:47:02 am »
Mm - if that was mine (and I do mean mine) I would be worried. It could be a tumour which would explain the bleeding of a friable mass, but it could also be caused by rubbing by dags, except the dags don't look bad enough.  Have you noticed her rubbing her backside against a fence or post? A persistant itch could be caused by intestinal worms and make her rub herself so much she has caused damage. It's the wrong season for reversing into a nettle patch.  If it doesn't settle quickly, ie shrink back to normal size, shape and colour, I think you should send the pic to your vet - or maybe just do it anyway then you can tell me I'm being alarmist.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 07:50:37 am »
I agree with Fleecewife.  That's not normal, it doesn't even look like a normal vulva after aborting; the surface is not smooth.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 09:55:00 pm »
Well I checked her again today and no blood again. She does have scours a bit again (I wonder if she’s od-ing on the mineral lick?) Also checked another ewe lamb and they both look the same, so not sure why you think they look abnormal??
Vets are useless tbh. Called them Monday and never heard back from them. Lose heart having to chase them up. Know they’re busy, but still. Thinking of signing up to a livestock only vet to see if they’re any better.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 09:58:46 pm »
Get another vet!!! If you ring they should return the call that day  :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS