Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to store unused beekeeping equipment?  (Read 6142 times)

michoglen63

• Joined Dec 2020
how to store unused beekeeping equipment?
« on: December 29, 2020, 10:11:57 am »
i used to keep my unused beekeeping equipment in our garage in our old house, but we recently moved and i don't want to keep the equipment in our new home since it could attract pests and other things of that nature.

i was thinking of stacking the equipment outside on top of some pressure-treated wood and stacked in such a way so there would be plenty of light and air flow. i also thought i would hammer in four poles and spread a tarp overtop to keep direct rain and snow off of the equipment.

does this seem reasonable? how do other folks store unused brood boxes and honey supers?

thanks for your help, appreciate it!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: how to store unused beekeeping equipment?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:45:45 pm »
I know nothing about storing beekeeping equipment, but I can see that your idea of four poles and a tarp to protect it all will not work.  As soon as it rains, the water will collect in the tarp like a heavy lake - I know from trying to protect our boat with a tarp.  The only way it would work would be to construct a lean-to, or free standing roofed structure.  It need not be waterproof as you could then stretch your tarp over the top, as long as it is well held down against high winds.  It can be open sided too for ventilation.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:57:11 pm »
Personally I store my unused equipment in a dry barn. I can't see that brood boxes and supers are going to attract pests or are you worried about the made up frames? If you haven't got anywhere inside and dry then why not stack up the boxes, supers on a floor and add a roof? If you have made up frames then I certainly think they need storing inside somewhere. You sound like you need a shed!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 01:33:00 am »
All my hive stuff was stored in a big insulated steel purpose build water tight shed  I had enough stuff for 120 hives and about 50 neuc's .  So when I  amalgamated hives before the middle of August all to be stored capped frames were uncapped & spun out
I split the brood boxes & supers  . cleaned & repaired them as needed . Set them on flat boards on a smooth concrete floor sprinkled a dessert spoon of moth crystals  over the whilst they were in the brood , super boxes , added a sheet of a big newspaper over the top   put the next box on , more moth crystals , more paper till I got the stack almost as high as I could reach then put a crown board & hive lid on top .  I built the stacks in groups of 8 as it made it easier to do
 Don't put the boxes and supers in poly bags //they will sweat and rot the  wood  if you are using wooden hives .
 The moth crystals are use copiously  to try and deter the wax moth as the hives are in storage. it does not take the wax moths long to totally wreck a hive full of quality drawn comb & it takes ages to clean the frames and hive bodies of all the crud and burn their eggs with a blow lamp .  Even then like as not you'll still get some moth damage . Air the equipment for several hours in the sun before bringing them back into use.

Good luck .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS