Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New neighbours  (Read 6782 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
New neighbours
« on: July 02, 2019, 03:57:27 pm »
I cannot, actually, recall seeing honey bees on my land in the past 4 years despite the increasing clover cover.  Any local bees will obviously have been visiting/checking-out, but not noticeably so by me – until now!

It was nice calm sunny day:  I had been working in the fields and returned to my storage area to find a dozen or so dark honey bees checking out the interior of one of my ISOs.
I made a rapid retreat to work out what I was going to do next.  Then it dawned on me what was going on:  this was a swarm’s scouting party.  Oh dear!
I closed in and closed up the ISO with a few bees still inside. (Sorry little bees!) And I went home.

I am please to say the few trapped bees Houdinied their way out of the ISO through the very small ventilation holes.  Also pleased that the swarm did not decide to take up residence in my storage container/s (which would be very difficult to live with).

However, over this past w/end, it became clear that the bees have found somewhere else reasonably close-by to establish their new nest.  During my work-party's Sunday brunch, several bees appeared quite suddenly to check out our camping area.  They have, I deduce, established their new nest reasonably close by.  These camp-site visitors had very full pollen pouches already.  They are seemingly "sorted".   :) :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:01:25 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: New neighbours
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 11:43:37 pm »
Still no swallows or cuckoos yet, but a honey bee buzzed me today.  It wasn't a black Cornish bee like last year's summer visitors (which I haven't actually noticed yet this year):  this one was golden with just slightly darker stripes on abdomen !
'Twas years before I noticed a single honey bee on my land and, now, along comes an unusual - to me at least - golden visitor checking out the dandelions !!  Something's working in this little corner.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:11:07 am by arobwk »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: New neighbours
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:13:59 pm »
yellow bees tend to come form manipulated hive that get requeened most years with a known or hoped for very good queen that produces good  nectar & pollen collecting workers .,  they are the result of people seeking an industrial pollinator .

Feral swarms /nest of them are usually the result of poor beekeeping.
The genuine local black/dark brown bee is something worthwhile for they have adapted to the locality & reverted to the native strain over several years , they tend to defend the hive / nest best .

I preferred to have black bees in my 100 hives  for they worked well in all bee flyable weathers where as the fancy hybrid  Italian queen produced worker just wasn't up to it .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS