Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Arthritis Help  (Read 4028 times)

Gemma417

• Joined Feb 2017
Arthritis Help
« on: December 28, 2020, 10:09:47 am »
Hi, i have one of my elderly sheep suffering from arthritis especially now the weather has turned colder. I have looked through quite a few related posts but all were quite a few years ago so thought i would see if theres any fresh advice please.

I've been looking at some horse products....
Glucosamine
Devils claw block
Devils Relief Liquid
Has anyone ever tried these and had success?
Or are they safe for sheep? I know to keep away from products with copper in.  I've read about people using such products on goats so i would assume they would be safe for sheep.

Thank you

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Arthritis Help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 10:28:37 am »
I looked at horse supplements for a ewe that had a ligament injury- most had copper in so that ruled them out. Metacam would be the best bet but prolonged use isn’t good so speak to your vet. It might be kinder to put the sheep down.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 10:58:20 am »
What breed is your sheep, and how old is she? Has she ever been tested for MV?

Gemma417

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 01:13:22 pm »

Shes a mule cross texel
Approx 11-12 years old
Shes Never been tested for MV but i don't think it could be that because it hasn't spread to any of the others and with her age i think it's just arthritis. I was just hoping to find a more natural pain relief without all the injections.

Gemma417

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 01:16:01 pm »
I looked at horse supplements for a ewe that had a ligament injury- most had copper in so that ruled them out. Metacam would be the best bet but prolonged use isn’t good so speak to your vet. It might be kinder to put the sheep down.
I need to check on the copper in the things i have seen. I was just hoping to find a more natural pain relief instead of lots of injections.

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 03:17:08 pm »
I need to check on the copper in the things i have seen. I was just hoping to find a more natural pain relief instead of lots of injections.
metacam can be administered orally

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:35:31 pm »
Repeated doses of metacam not good for kidneys though I think I remember the vet saying. For a 12 year old sheep she’s had a good innings so I’d probably think about saying goodbye than keeping her going much longer, if her pain cannot be managed. Winter can be hard on the fittest of sheep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 05:03:29 pm »

Shes a mule cross texel
Approx 11-12 years old
Shes Never been tested for MV but i don't think it could be that because it hasn't spread to any of the others and with her age i think it's just arthritis. I was just hoping to find a more natural pain relief without all the injections.

Ok if she got to age 11-12 in reasonable health then yes it is unlikely to be MV, it is just one thing to consider in the general scheme of "older" sheep.

You have done well to get a txl cross to this age! If she is visibly in pain the  I would consider to have her pts by the vet, as I think any useful pain relief is injections in sheep and if you don't want to go down that route then there is not much else. Metacam is the only one that springs to mind, but I don't think it is a longterm solution.

Wee Noddy

• Joined Jul 2020
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 01:24:56 pm »
Hi Gemma,

Well done you for getting her to 12 yrs. I am guessing that you have had to take close care of a sheep to do so, which I guess makes her more of a pet than anything.

We had to have our pet Suffolk ram pts by the vet earlier this year. It was a hard choice, but it had to be done for his good. It is definitely the hardest decision any pet owner will have to make.

But if the old girl is sore you have to do what is best for her and remember that most of them don't get 12 years of grass.

Good luck.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 03:13:13 pm »
Hi Gemma! I've got 3 pet sheep that are almost 11 now. My vet has prescribed Rimadyl for one of them, which is for dogs actually. I've found it quite good for her and keeps her comfortable. I also use glucosamine and No Bute from equestrian shops and Rhus Tox from my homeopathic vet. Someone I know also uses Danilon, which is bute, for their elderly sheep but obviously you would need to talk to your vet. I hope you find something that will help your oldies, as others have said you've done well to get them to that age. I'd do anything for my girls and at the moment these things I've mentioned are working, so fingers crossed for you.
4 pet sheep

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 06:33:37 pm »
Have you  looked up turmeric? There is a turmeric users forum on the internet. I've had some info from them to use it on a cow that is very stiff on her legs. It would seem that about half a teaspoonful of turmeric, mixed with black pepper should be effective. About 1/4 tspn should be enough for a sheep, given once a day. I'm going to sprinkle it on chopped carrots which should have sufficient moisture for it to stick.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Gemma417

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 09:49:12 am »
Hi Gemma! I've got 3 pet sheep that are almost 11 now. My vet has prescribed Rimadyl for one of them, which is for dogs actually. I've found it quite good for her and keeps her comfortable. I also use glucosamine and No Bute from equestrian shops and Rhus Tox from my homeopathic vet. Someone I know also uses Danilon, which is bute, for their elderly sheep but obviously you would need to talk to your vet. I hope you find something that will help your oldies, as others have said you've done well to get them to that age. I'd do anything for my girls and at the moment these things I've mentioned are working, so fingers crossed for you.

I was looking at glucosamine but one article said not too use it on sheep so i was unsure then. I think i might try tumeric too that seems to be effective for some.
I was also looking a topical treatment, one lady uses uddermint cream on her own arthritis with good effects so if it will soak through the leg enough could be worth a try.

Gemma417

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 10:00:45 am »
Have you  looked up turmeric? There is a turmeric users forum on the internet. I've had some info from them to use it on a cow that is very stiff on her legs. It would seem that about half a teaspoonful of turmeric, mixed with black pepper should be effective. About 1/4 tspn should be enough for a sheep, given once a day. I'm going to sprinkle it on chopped carrots which should have sufficient moisture for it to stick.

I had read about tumeric so i think i might give it a go, how much black pepper? And is that crushed up?

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 10:21:00 pm »
Hi Gemma, forgot to mention in my last post that I also give my girls Turmeraid. I get that off the Internet. It reminded me when I read the post from landroverroy. Interesting to hear about the uddermint!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:23:14 pm by moprabbit »
4 pet sheep

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 12:20:16 pm »

I had read about tumeric so i think i might give it a go, how much black pepper? And is that crushed up?

It needs to be ground black pepper. I think it's best freshly ground - as in from a pepper mill. I don't think the amount is too specific. I would give maybe 4 to 6 grinds to a teaspoon of turmeric. Or if you've bought the pepper already ground - maybe a good pinch to a tspn of turmeric.
If you look on the turmeric users forum they are incredibly specific about quantities but I don't think it has to be that specific.
By the way, you can buy capsules off the internet of turmeric mixed with black pepper and ginger (another anti inflammatory). They're very cheap - @£12 for 365. I find them very good for myself - just take a couple with some fish oil tablets (for the oil to make it effective). If you want something easy then I'm sure one of them a couple of times a day would help your sheep. (Apparently with ruminants they don't need to take oil with it.)
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS