Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring sheep- reaction to antibiotics or something else?  (Read 1246 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Scouring sheep- reaction to antibiotics or something else?
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:31:24 am »
Hello. I'e got a 2 year old ewe (hopefully in lamb) scouring really badly. She had a bad foot last week so I treated her with engemycin antibiotcs (injection). Her foot is fine now, but she is scouring really badly and looks pretty miserable.
I've wormed her and made sure she has plenty of hay and fresh water. Anything else I can do? Has anyone else noticed sheep scouring after antibiotics? Thank you.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Scouring sheep- reaction to antibiotics or something else?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 10:50:59 am »
I'd give her some natural yoghurt to replace the bacteria in her gut which may have been seriously depleted by the antibiotic. Or ask you vet for some rumen stimulus  powder which is designed to also get  the rumen contents working again.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 01:01:41 pm »
Speak to VET quickly , scouring can cause them to go down hill very quickly and can cause damage to internal organs  , could be internal parasite's / over eating / eating something bad  or anything

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 06:05:50 pm »
I did what was recommended by several people... on and off this forum.... gave yogurt and some lamb boost to a lamb (8 months) with very bad scours - sadly the lamb died due to the rumen shuttling down.
I don’t know whether it was too late anyway or what I gave him but the vet said absolutely no sugar only water (with rumen salts if possible) and a hay or straw. So I would get some rumen stimulus from the vet.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 07:31:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I've got some provita rumen stimulant, just need to catch her! She's still fast on her feet, so maybe she's not so poorly after all....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS