Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unwanted Pregnancy  (Read 1449 times)

Auntiesairs

• Joined Dec 2020
Unwanted Pregnancy
« on: December 14, 2020, 09:24:21 pm »
Hi
This is our 1st year keeping sheep on our two acre field. The Oxford ram from next doors farm has gotten into our field and tipped our Dartmoor x lamb. Neither she or I are ready for teenage pregnancy!!  Is there anything I can do to make sure she doesn’t stay pregnant (if she is).
Thanks from an amateur.
Ps the drystone wall has been reinforced with stock fencing so I think that foiled him from causing any further trouble

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Unwanted Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 02:09:35 pm »
You need to speak to your vet - yes the "morning after pill" is available for sheep in the form of an injection. It has to be given twice, about 10days apart pretty soon after tupping though. It has to be given by the vet (I think it can also cause abortion in humans so vets cannot hand it out to you to inject the sheep by yourself), so easiest would be for you to bring the ewe to the vets (twice).

How long ago did the tup mate her? How well grown is she? If you know the date of mating you can plan ahead wrt feeding more in the last 6 weeks, booster vaccination etc etc. - maybe that is easier than trundling her twice to the vets for injecting? Your neighbour/tup owner should however pay for the injections and any associated costs.... but that may cause more hassle in the long run.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 05:47:44 pm »
This happened to us a couple of years ago, and everything Anke said is spot on. The injection is called "Estrumate", if you want to look it up?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 07:15:46 am »

On the other hand ...

if she did get pregnant then she will be fine to lamb (in my experience those that are too small/not ready in sheep dont get pregnant )  and sheep are OK to lamb at about a year as long as fed enough to maintain growth of both mum and lambs.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 08:40:14 am »
I'd agree with Linda but that's a big, chunky tup, and she's a slower-growing hill type.  You have to feed an in-lamb hogg, but you don't want to overfeed or you're feeding the lamb(s), which would then get even bigger.... So, especially as you are inexperienced, I think in your position I might go for the jag, if it's not too late.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Auntiesairs

• Joined Dec 2020
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:28:07 am »
Many thanks folks. I'll get on to the vet. Roger (the randy ram) is very big (a fine looking beast) compared to Poor Tiny (who still iznt big even for a Gritstone). I would be nervous about getting feeding right and doing the right thing if she got into difficulty.  But then if it happens again next year we might he in happy mistake territory.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS