Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for a drake (meat breed) for breeding in 2021  (Read 1049 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Looking for a drake (meat breed) for breeding in 2021
« on: December 13, 2020, 10:50:35 pm »
I am planning to hatch some replacement/Xmas dinner ducks next year and will need a drake for my 4 girls (hatched 2020). I would like preferably a Cayuga or maybe an Aylesbury. The girls are Cayuga mixed with something else (most likelc call duck).

Anyone in North of England or South/Central Scotland got any hatched in 2021?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Looking for a drake (meat breed) for breeding in 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 07:12:40 pm »
I have a lovely, white muscovy drake? not what you asked for but are good, leaner eating than normal duck, white is dominant and leaves a cleaner carcass and offspring will lay eggs but be mules.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:33:14 pm »
I am not sure, I have never heard that you can cross muscovies with other ducks, always was told they don't. I am actually planning on breeding back to Cauyga if I can, so would preferably use one.

How bad are Muscovies at flying off? I have never kept any, but seem to remember (from when I was younger) that they often tend to roost in trees (they are called Flying ducks in German btw...) I am already struggling with my current ducks escaping to the neighbour's pristine lawn ...

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 02:10:34 pm »
yes you can cross them but can't breed from the crosses. They are good fliers, they are tree ducks after all, although the adult males are quite lazy and get a bit too heavy to fly higher than a couple of feet. The females are good fliers and mine are given perch space inside their houses. No bother, he's a nice boy just doesn't fit into my two colour breeding programs.

Mbt7801

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 05:07:55 pm »
I have a couple of silver appleyards that you can take your pick of. They are this years hatched and get quite meaty. I am near Preston. Give me a ring on 07801834092 if you are interested.
Thanks
Martin

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 08:09:58 am »
I am sorry Mbt7801, but it would be a 300mile round trip. What with lockdown and possible questioning at the border it seems to be too difficult to come down right now or even in the new year. That stupid virus is definitely throwing one curve ball after another...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS