Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Galvanised treadle feeder  (Read 3691 times)

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Galvanised treadle feeder
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 09:06:50 am »
Regardless of whether vermin can get into it or not, isn't having a full receptacle of food sitting around just attracting them by the smell? Also if your hens, ducks etc are leaving spilled food on the ground then they are being fed too much. The general rule of thumb for feeding poultry is only to give as much as they will clear up in 10 minutes or so, so there is no wastage and nothing to attract rats or pigeons etc.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 04:19:17 pm »
You’re confusing chickens with pigs. Chickens eat throughout the day and should be going to bed with a full crop.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 06:02:12 pm »
No I'm not. I agree with going to bed on a full crop, that is why I give a 2nd feed about an hour pre-roost. Between their breakfast and tea time they forage.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 04:14:25 am »
With a properly designed grandad feeder you don't get food left on the ground. So yes - vermin may be attracted by the smell. But I don't believe it wafts across the garden attracting them from far and wide like the pied piper. So if they smell food but there's never any available then they're not getting any positive feedback from the smell and will go elsewhere.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 09:08:10 pm »
You’re confusing chickens with pigs.

So easily done  :roflanim: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS