Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewes not cycling.  (Read 3240 times)

Wee Noddy

• Joined Jul 2020
Re: ewes not cycling.
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 10:37:19 pm »
Funny, I bought 2 ewes from same farm this summer. One came back round for second helpings but the other never cycled. I have assumed that she is in lamb despite the fact the person who I bought her of said there was no way that could have happened!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 11:13:35 pm »

* the 2 whethers that are with them are someone elses 'lawnmowers' and were ring castrated as baby lambs so no chance they could serve anything. Even if a testicle was missed and was up in the abdominal cavity that would render the animal infertile even if he did serve them - whcih he hasnt!

Not sure this would render the male infertile ......

It's done on purpose (or so the farmers say ;)) to make teaser rams in the north of England. 

One year, a lot of farms in our area had unexpected lambs on May 11th.  We checked back, and Dec 18th had been the day the temperatures nose-dived to -20C below.  Cold enough for those internal testicles to no longer be too hot for the wee spermies...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Wee Noddy

• Joined Jul 2020
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 10:54:17 am »
How did this end out Eryl?

Wee Noddy

• Joined Jul 2020
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 09:37:09 pm »
Funny, I bought 2 ewes from same farm this summer. One came back round for second helpings but the other never cycled. I have assumed that she is in lamb despite the fact the person who I bought her of said there was no way that could have happened!

As an update on my ewe. Judging from the look of her I am expecting lamb/s to drop in the next 4-7 days!

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 12:28:38 pm »
just had the 5 ewes scanned - all in lamb. think they must have started cycling late .Took the harness off the ram, so dont know hwne they were served. interesting to see when they lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 12:50:51 pm »
Glad you have an answer, and glad you will be getting some lambs! 

How we all missed asking you if the tup had carried on running with them after you took the raddle off, I cannot quite fathom!  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 02:48:48 pm »
very interesting.   My AN goats start cycling much later than other peoples .... never really start till well into Nov .... whilst others have started kidding ... mine have only just been with billy (and that is 4 years running now)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS