Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging tomorrow :0(  (Read 7118 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Tagging tomorrow :0(
« on: November 06, 2010, 05:26:31 pm »
OK so I've been naughty for too long now and need to do this. A friend got caught last weekend and she lives literally a mile up the road...
tomorrow I will be tagging reggie and savannah. The tags (which i didnt' have enough of anyway) and applicator arrived (far too quickly) on friday. I have to say Dalton were incredibly helpful and answered all my daft questions and advised me brilliantly and I think they sent the item via harrier jump jet so if you need anything quickly, they are the peeps to visit.

questions are - do you numb your goats ears? or just get on with it?  any other tips for tomorrow's dreaded task?  will obviously be reading loads tonight and looking for youtube clips of it, in between making monkey farts bath bombs and soap obviously (distraction methods, always my downfall!!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
Re: Tagging tomorrow :0(
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:30:33 pm »
No numbing required - Just go for it and get it done quickly and in the right place (depending on tag used) avoiding the centre vein and not too close to the head and they'll barely notice... If you're feeling really guilty after the event - Get them some treats and give them those as soon as you're done - They'll soon show you they're not in any lasting pain!  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:57:42 pm »
good luck!
must order tags myself...   
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
Mine have Shearwells tags, EID ones, (I need them for the shep, so wasn't going to order double...) and they were tagged at 4 months as I took them to a show. No problems at all (so far), and the offer of a bit of extra mix straight after tagging was all that was needed for distraction. They did scream for a minute or so though, but nothing more than would be expected. No bleeding or infection since.

It's one of these things, necessary by law if actually otherwise completely unnecessary piece of ID, but you just have to get on with it...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
Oh dear , I have my tags but cowardice in the goat dep (cause they are our babies) deters us. Sheep we can do with our eyse closed. If you can show the tags and the posh gun does that count as OK  ::)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:27:39 am »
Unfortunately there is no leeway with this one.

I now know of several cases of prosecution with huge fines for goats being left untagged after 12 months old. In one case the guy has been banned from keeping goats for life because he refused to tag.

In my opinion, it is legalised cruelty and should be changed.  What was the matter with correct tattoo-ing ?

There is a move afoot to revisit this possibility with microchips being inserted under the ear.  This would satisfy the requirements for scrapie monitored herds where the head is sent for testing.  Also it would stop the identity of goats being changed - very easy to substitute one tage for another.  Tattooing would prevent this.

If changes for the better occur - it cant come soon enough for me - then I imagine the wheels of authority will take some time for it to become legal.

In the meantime,  keep tagging.

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:33:24 am »
 ;)strange how when defra come looking the ear tags will go in, was it not you plumseverywhere that said you would pay the fine if defra came looking, i am sure i remember this on another ear tag post in august.

btw i would also give daltons a pat on the back for its service always super fast & friendly.

good luck with the tagging  :) and remember to wipe the ear with a antiseptic wipe prior to tagging to minimise risk of infection.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:06:38 am by chickenfeed »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 08:14:10 am »
it was me that would pay the fine until I realised i have to take my girl off site to get her mated...the billy owner isn't going to have her without tags...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:12 am »
Next time look into AI! Worcs goat society are getting quite excited about it.

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:01:30 am »
 ;)sorry plums  i read your post as thought you were tagging because a friend got caught without tags.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 09:06:36 am »
I will do Katie  ;)  just saw some FB pics of Fay and the 'equipment'!! 

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 09:08:54 am »
just twigged who you are 'katie' I think - have you got bunnies for sale in the same shop where I sell my soap? must get that coffee sorted soon if you are who I think you are  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 09:29:51 am »
chickenfeed, i think you are probably right, its been a bit of both really. have had such a horrible month (lost milking goat and then 2 cats on the road within a week) the thought of telling the kids that xmas would be a bit tight this year due to mummy not tagging the goats and being hit with a fine made me wobble and back down.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »
I ought to get down to tagging the last three yrs accidents but due to the billies having to be chucked in with the girls last month to stop them from escaping I will have at least 17 next year so will wait till then as Countrywide or whatever they call themselves can't get less than 50 and with double tagging that will mean 100 and then theres a new tagger so thats more expense.
    I far prefer tagging to earmarking (no screaming and no blood)but the small ear taggs only stayed in for about 3/6 months and the ones I like aren't available any more.Double that and the price soon starts adding up!
   I guess I'll start worrying about it when trading standards send me some more movement forms and as I've been waiting 5yrs for those ::).........

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 01:56:21 pm »
if you need a tagger and your tags are the same as mine, you can use my new one  :)  I'll get the armed police van that keeps driving round our village every 15 minutes to drop it in to you lol!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS