Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bullying Pig  (Read 1819 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Bullying Pig
« on: November 06, 2020, 02:57:02 pm »
Hi, I appreciate most people here have full size farming pigs but I'm hoping you can still help.

We have 2 micro pigs, who are a 3 year old brother (he has been neutered) and sister. They currently have a run that is a 1/4 of an acre of natural grass.

To date they've lived very happily alongside each other and if anything he was very protective when his sister was small. However, recently he has taken to lifting her off the ground, with his snout and throwing her into the air so that she lands on her side.   She is far smaller than he is and has issues with her legs, so once down she cannot right herself, so we're concerned that if she goes over in the cold and we are not about to pick her up, she may freeze in winter. We thought this behaviour could be about food, so we now feed them separately but even when food isn't around, he still bully's and hurts her. I believe from watching him, it happens when she looks like she might have found some food (even though there isn't any)

Then yesterday whilst feeding him, he tried to take a bite out of the back of my leg. This is most unlike him, in the entire time we've had him, he's never once shown aggression to either myself or our children  - so something is clearly amiss. We have separated them for the time being but as they are still quite young I don't like the idea of them spending the next 10 - 12 years alone.

These are pet pigs so just getting rid of him isn't an option. We would very much like to keep Elvis as part of the family! But Rosie also needs to be happy as well.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what could be wrong and/or how I go about fixing his behaviour and at the very least prevent him biting someone?  Thank you in advance.  :pig: :pig:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Bullying Pig
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 05:05:31 pm »
 :wave:

With regard to your boy knocking his sister over the only option is to keep them apart if she can't cope with that behaviour. It is hard to say why he is doing it. Are you absolutely sure he is neutered? The problem with micro pigs is that many are the result of continually breeding small and incorrect pigs to keep the offspring small.

I quite except there are also some reputable breeders too.

As for biting you that is something to discourage especially if you have children and I'm afraid you will have to give him a very definite smack across the nose when he does this. I think you also have to except that if his aggression continues then he may need rehoming where there are more pigs and he will hopefully be kept in line or culled. Pig bites turn septic very quickly and need antibiotics asap.

You could get him a friend who he can interact with and that might challenge his energy in a different direction.

If your gilt has health issues she may not live a long, pain free life and if you can keep her so she can see the other pig/pigs I think she will be happier.

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 11:31:17 am »
Thank you for the information. I've been reading mixed opinions as to if you can introduce male pigs to new pigs. Have you done this and how easy it is to get them to accept each other? Thanks again, all advice is so appreciated and yes I hear you about re-homing if he decides to start attempting to bite people. x

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 05:16:26 pm »
He isn't a "male" pig he is a castrate. All new pigs tussle when introduced and it can be rather disconcerting to watch. Give them plenty of room.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:09:06 pm »
In my opinion - and not what you want to hear - the best solution is sausages. Once an animal starts biting humans, and you cannot work out why, then you can't afford to keep it and nor is it fair to attempt to rehome him.
Ok he's a pet to you. But pigs do not make good pets to the average person because of the amount of food they eat and the space they need. And anyway - he is not suitable as a pet now because he bites. So even if you do rehome him and someone promises he will have a home for life, I can assure you there is at least a 90%  chance they will eventually get him booked in for sausages. I've done it myself - although I did give the animals 3 years of happy free range life before I eventually took them to the abattoir. I still feel guilty about the trusting way they followed the butcher into the building. But sometimes you have to accept the inevitable.
In my book - if you've given the animals a good life while in your care, and ensured a hopefully quick stressless death, then there's not much more you can do.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS