Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rayburn broken.  (Read 3056 times)

Penny

• Joined Apr 2020
Rayburn broken.
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:17:16 pm »
Good evening all,
Has anyone ever bought a second hand gas fired Rayburn and had it installed it?
Ours has broken, the water tank in it has burst and we’ve been told it’s a write-off as it’s 36yrs old and that model is not made anymore.  We are thinking of replacing it with a second had one rather than fork out £10k for a new one.  I’ve seen plenty for sale but when I’ve spoken to some Rayburn shops they said they wouldn’t fit a second hand one and we’d be lucky to find anyone who would. So I’d love to hear from anyone with any previous experience doing this.
TIA.  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Rayburn broken.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:14:05 pm »
Even with solid fuel ones you have to get them HETAS certified, so you would need to find a local fitter with the right certifications.  For gas I assume it's a CORGI registered fitter you would need.

The solid fuel ones can kill you quite easily if fitted incorrectly, or not functioning correctly (the CO alarm saved us when the wind blew in from the wrong direction and the smoke came back into the house.... and that was a brand new one, properly installed!!  The solution was a thingy on the top of the chimney that made it draw wherever the wind was coming from.  But we burned through one of those and had to get a stainless steel one...)

So I would say, find a local CORGI fitter who is happy to do it, or don't do it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 12:37:31 am »
the water tank in it has burst and we’ve been told it’s a write-off as it’s 36yrs old and that model is not made anymore.

I think that would be worth double checking with the various parts suppliers, before you give up on it completely?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penny

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 11:35:51 am »
The problem we are having is finding someone to fit a second hand/reconditioned one. So if anyone know of any fitters in the northeast, please let me know.
I have spoken to a few companies who have said that our current model is now obsolete, so we can’t get it fixed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 02:52:21 pm »
I have spoken to a few companies who have said that our current model is now obsolete, so we can’t get it fixed.

Hrmph.  If you can find an old school (old!) fitter, who's known Rayburns since the 60s and 70s, I bet they would know how to sort you out / source any bits you need.

We had an original 1950s "Pattern No. 1" Rayburn in our cottage in the late 1990s, got it completely refurbished, ran as good as new.  (I realise this is now more than 20 years ago, but the device was over 40 years old at the time.  The point is, not much breaks and much is standard, so someone who knows them of old would know what to get and how to adapt it if necessary, even if you can no longer order that specific part.)

The chap who fitted our new solid fuel Rayburn, 8 years ago in the farmhouse in Cumbria, is almost certainly retired now, I'm afraid.  He wasn't a certified Rayburn fitter, but he'd done work for us before and we knew he was competent, professional and wouldn't cut any corners, so asked him if he could do it.  He researched the specifics of Rayburns and arranged for the HETAS certification of his work.  I wish you luck finding your very own "Hugh"!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 05:12:29 pm »
I was going to say the same as Sally. Do you know what the model number is?

For example, this page lists replacement boilers for lots of 1950s models onwards. Also, it says some boilers are made to order, so if you can get the old part out, even if it's not one they stock, they may well be able to copy it to make a new one?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS