Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you do if you break down whilst towing livestock?  (Read 6090 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: What do you do if you break down whilst towing livestock?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 09:44:44 pm »
Have just seen this post, so answer probably useless.

I'd cry!!

However, I'm with NFU and have trailer cover as a simple question garnered me the reply "they will leave your trailer there, including animals!"

Didnt like that! But I have been recovered twice in old Discovery. 1st time 1/2 mile over the limit, sweet talking  got us out of an excess payment. 2nd time we were 7 miles out of the "home limit". Car conked out (gear box blew) on a hill pulling out of a junction, 9pm! Cold night too! Bit unnerving hearing a loud clunk and then starting to roll backwards when expecting to go forwards, especially when cars behind!

Brakes slammed on, hazards switched on, other cars honking horns! My heart pounding!!!

Needless to say, once the initial recovery driver had been, seen, "can't help sorry!" Got out his gadget to charge £ 35 excess fee, he arranged for a heavy loader to come get us! 2 hours later we were home. (We were 45 minutes from home!)

NFU called the next day and cover upped to nationwide recovery! Not that I'm going to Scotland (not insulting Scotland) but if I go to Scotland and break down, RAC will take me all the way home, FREE!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS