Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acorns- feeding & storing  (Read 2019 times)

Julia1521

• Joined Jul 2020
Acorns- feeding & storing
« on: October 25, 2020, 04:31:50 pm »
Hi guys,

The other week my vet came out for a visit and suggested I collected some acorns to feed to my growing pigs to cut the feed bill. My neighbour has an oak tree in one of her fields and said I could help myself so that's what I plan to do this week! I'm just wondering though how they should be stored, I have lots of potato sacks they could go into or are they better in something air tight? Also do they need to be cleaned/ washed or dried before? Lastly, how do I know how much to give them? My pigs are five months old and are currently being fed country pig pellets, they eat about 2 buckets a day. How much feed can I swap out for acorns? Any advice would be great.

Many thanks!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Acorns- feeding & storing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 05:07:02 pm »
We normally direct people to the "Newcastle document", linky but it makes no mention of acorns
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Acorns- feeding & storing
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 03:11:05 pm »
Any pigs kept outdoors who have access to acorns will eat them with relish. If you google feeding acorns to pigs there are quite a few articles.

You don't say how many pigs you have so two buckets of feed might be a lot or not enough. I read that acorns that much lower in protein than I thought (6%).

Personally I would feed as a treat but I wouldn't spending hours collecting acorns (sounds back breaking) or massively change your routine at 5 months. When do intend to send them off?

If you intend to feed only acorns or a large portion of them I would think you will need a mineral supplement.

As your vet suggested it I would go back to them and ask what experience they have of feeding acorns to finish pigs and if they actually have some, then they will be able to guide you further.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS