Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's that time again  (Read 1387 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
It's that time again
« on: October 24, 2020, 05:50:34 pm »
Well its time to change the timers , put the clocks back and check the torch batteries. We have now changed over to (nearly all LED lighting apart from the workshop ) the reduction in electricity consumption is very noticeable.
Its time to hibernate in front of the wood burner , the logs cut with my new battery chainsaw, yes I've said it battery chainsaw and I must say I am impressed ( so is Mrs RTB  she was getting fed up with the fumes and noise in the sitting room, just kidding !! ) seriously  it is ideal for the smaller jobs, yep I've been dragged into the 20th century.
Enjoy your extra hour bed , if your allowed !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: It's that time again
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 06:48:43 pm »
Most of my friends say they're not doing it this year.  No one wants an extra hour of 2020!    :D

And yes, the weather has turned wet, wild and chilly here, so of course the boiler is on the blink.  Thank goodness for a very well-insulated flat, a good supply of woolly jumpers and shawls, and a couple of hot water bottles.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 02:31:52 am »
I've got a cow due 31st October but I think she might go early so the clocks changing hasn't made much difference - I'm just up at 2am rather than 3am.

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 03:24:16 am »

I change our clocks half hour each end of today I think better for milkers                                                                                                      they think the old sods late with breakfast

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 08:05:18 am »
The wall clock in the back yard is now at the correct time and the one in the barn is an hour out.  They will swop roles in 6 months time.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 08:16:23 am »
The only effect on us is it makes a mess of the TV programmes- the chickens still get up at dawn, regardless of the numbers on the clocks.

In 2018 the EU ran an internet poll which resulted in 80% saying they didn't want the clocks to change at all. What remains to be decided is whether Summer or Winter time is adopted. It's been agreed that all of Europe must have the same time. The French have voted to stay on Summer time, which is my preference to get late afternoon and evening sun. Germany and Spain however have voted for Winter time, so what we will finally end up with I don't know, but in 2022 there will be no more clock changing.

There will be an environmental impact though, so it could all collapse. France estimates the energy saving from changing to Summer time saves the energy equivalent to the annual heating of 800,000 homes. Everyone is supposed to be reducing Carbon emissions, so perhaps more consideration to this time changing needs to be given?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 11:07:22 am »
The only effect on us is it makes a mess of the TV programmes- the chickens still get up at dawn, regardless of the numbers on the clocks.

In 2018 the EU ran an internet poll which resulted in 80% saying they didn't want the clocks to change at all. What remains to be decided is whether Summer or Winter time is adopted. It's been agreed that all of Europe must have the same time. The French have voted to stay on Summer time, which is my preference to get late afternoon and evening sun. Germany and Spain however have voted for Winter time, so what we will finally end up with I don't know, but in 2022 there will be no more clock changing.

There will be an environmental impact though, so it could all collapse. France estimates the energy saving from changing to Summer time saves the energy equivalent to the annual heating of 800,000 homes. Everyone is supposed to be reducing Carbon emissions, so perhaps more consideration to this time changing needs to be given?
Another EU compromise - half an hour each end?  Whoever thought up changing the clocks twice a year should have been shot at birth.  It totally confuses my mind and my body.  I woke this morning at what my phone said was 7am so I turned over for my Sunday snooze - turned out to be a deep one as often happens that way. I woke again at 9am on my phone, got up, fed the dog and cat, went out to let the birds out, then looked at the  kitchen clock and realised my poor animals had all been very patient having waited an extra hour - I'd slept in.  My whole day will be all wrong now  >:( >:( >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS