Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Scottish Smallholder Festival is now open  (Read 2966 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
The Scottish Smallholder Festival is now open
« on: October 24, 2020, 09:29:04 am »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: The Scottish Smallholder Festival is now open
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 03:19:09 pm »
Am I the only one that cannot watch any of the lectures as it seems my broadband is not good enough??? I am so disappointed as I had set aside the whole day...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 06:42:30 pm »
Can you watch youtube?  You'll be able to see them on there soon if so
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 06:48:23 pm »
Yep, our Silurian rural broadband let me down too.  The first talk I watched wasn't too bad until nearly the end when it went slow, but the second one was almost unwatchable, just half a  sentence here, then a pause, then half a sentence there, pause, not helped by the fact the chap's microphone was poor and he kept trailing off at the end of his phrases.  So I gave up too for the later ones I intended to watch.  Such a shame.  I also had thought we would be able to ask questions live.  Perhaps when we watch when all the talks are available next week it will be different.  I would like to see them all.

I really wished I had done a video bit about Ancient Type Hebrideans, but I've never done such a thing and also they are not a separate breed, really.

Still, the first Virtual Smallholder Festival has taken place, after so much planning.  I wonder what will happen next year?   Many thanks to all those who did the organising and made it happen for our delectation  ;D     Oh and well done Dan for those socks and the bread  :knit:

Just seen Doganjo's comment - so they will be on You Tube - great, that's no problem to watch  :yippee:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:51:46 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 07:55:04 pm »
Can you watch youtube?  You'll be able to see them on there soon if so

Yes, no problem with youtube usually, and Fergus Ewing was ok, I checked. Caroline Robinson's talk was ok too, but it wasn't video. I am fine with all the usual Googlemeet etc, so a bit perplexed as to why it didn't work... but hey-ho, will hopefully be able to watch later.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 11:39:59 pm »
I intended watching but I didn't wake up until 2.20 pm and by the time I was washed and dressed, it was too late. Will the whole show be on Youtube or jus the talks?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 02:30:23 am »
Some of the talks did give a problem if your connection wasn't great; I think we have a fix for that for next year, if we need it.

All the talks will be on the SRUC Library for a month form Monday, I think, then during that time, Dan will move them to the Smallholding Scotland Youtube channel.
The livestock showcases are on Youtube now.
Hopefully, we'll be back to Forfar next year, but who knows, and there might always be a virtual element to the Festival now.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 11:15:49 am »
Some of the talks did give a problem if your connection wasn't great; I think we have a fix for that for next year, if we need it.

All the talks will be on the SRUC Library for a month form Monday, I think, then during that time, Dan will move them to the Smallholding Scotland Youtube channel.
The livestock showcases are on Youtube now.
Hopefully, we'll be back to Forfar next year, but who knows, and there might always be a virtual element to the Festival now.
Perhaps putting the links on here will be useful [member=13]Rosemary[/member] ?  I hope we can do something every year, perhaps on a smaller scale if we have a live Festival - for our many supporters in the outer reaches of Scotland and also those further afield.  I think they deserve it.

And if anyone would like to be members please join here https://smallholding.scot/join-us/  If we have more members they can support and promote our work in being the voice of all smallholders in Scotland, and liaising with other countries post Brexit
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 02:38:17 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 02:29:45 pm »
All of the talks can be found here:

https://2020.ssgf.uk/talks/

The links shown are for the same platform as was used on Saturday, so if you struggled to watch then you may still struggle to view them.

I'll be moving them all on to YouTube in the next week or two, and will update the links on that page.

The event website and all the videos will remain online for at least a year, probably for longer.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 03:14:39 pm »
All of the talks can be found here:

https://2020.ssgf.uk/talks/

The links shown are for the same platform as was used on Saturday, so if you struggled to watch then you may still struggle to view them.

I'll be moving them all on to YouTube in the next week or two, and will update the links on that page.

The event website and all the videos will remain online for at least a year, probably for longer.

Thank you - I will need to wait for the youtubve versions. But it will mean I can watch them one at a time in the evenings...

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 05:02:09 pm »
Thank you - I will need to wait for the youtubve versions. But it will mean I can watch them one at a time in the evenings...

List the ones you're most interested in and I'll upload those first.  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 05:15:10 pm »

List the ones you're most interested in and I'll upload those first.  :)

Flowers, rabbits and trees! Thank you.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 06:36:31 pm »
Flowers, rabbits and trees! Thank you.

Flower Farming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cTDsDXDDwY
Rabbit Rearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBn13vZnsqM

More to come tomorrow probably.  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 02:08:29 pm »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 10:14:13 am »
Many thanks to Dan for transferring the talks from the festival to youtube format.... now worked my way through most of them. And it is good to be able to go back and watch/listen again.... so this would definitely a feature that would be useful for future years!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS