Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding dreams!  (Read 5101 times)

lindseyloo

• Joined Oct 2020
Smallholding dreams!
« on: October 20, 2020, 04:59:37 pm »
 :wave:
Hi folks we are hoping to pursue a smallholding dream in the next 5 years. I wonder if it's too early to start scoping out locations and any people potentially looking to sell up. We are flexible on location, so long as its mainland Scotland. We are also interested in places with the potential for wood lots near by. Any tips gratefully received.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Smallholding dreams!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 08:34:59 am »
Hello, sorry we have been tardy welcoming you.  Your post has only just come up on my "unread posts" list for some reason.

My input would be absolutely yes, start looking like you mean it now.  It takes quite a few viewings to get you really thinking about how places would work, discovering all the factors which matter to you, and so on. 

And you will find lots of threads on here where newcomers to it all are telling us what they want to do with their new holding... and sometimes get their eyes opened rather sharply!  lol.   So I and I would expect a few others would be happy to comment on your plans and what you tell us about potential holdings, which would help you to refine your requirements - and your plans ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 09:16:11 am »
It has just come up on my unread posts too.  I agree, start looking now.  But the prices are going to start dropping in the next few months, and will probably stay down till we start to recover form Covid, so don't rush to buy the first place that looks about right.  You may not be able to view any physically yet anyway

I am in Central Scotland so if I can help let me know.  Try to work out how much land you woul like or will need for what you plan to do.  There is a huge variety of properties.  I know of one coming on the market next week which is already used as a smallholding and has a veg box and otbher small activites set up, and  it is an almost new house so it will sell quickly.  Area is very much a factor, as is condition of the house, and the land.  Not many down hree have woodlands, so you will have to go some distance away from  conurbations for that I think

You need to know how much money you have available to pay (we have an offers over system so the price a property is offered for is almost always much less than you will have to pay. Home reports are commissioned by teh seller and will give you a mortgage valuations fee. Some places are offered for less than that to attract buyers, but you wonlt get more than that as a mortgage, and often considerably less, towards the purchase. Then there are lawyaers fees, stamp duty(new name for that whioch I can't remember), and money for any alterations, repairs you want and need to do.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:11:49 am »
Dont know how to do links ,THREAVERURAL  Waverly Hartfell crescent Moffat  , 2 bed lovely bungalow  8 acres  plus gardens £350,000 ,just on the market   Also have WEST BRETTON   ANNAN  3.7 ACRES  house and many buildings  £ 280,000  ,been on the market since the spring
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:18:00 pm by shep53 »

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:30:48 pm »
But the prices are going to start dropping in the next few months, and will probably stay down till we start to recover form Covid

Really? I've been looking a lot at property lately and all i'm seeing is prices going up very fast. Mostly done by people from the south of England selling up at a massive profit and buying up here, wanting a new start and to escape the ratrace. I am totally priced out of the market now. Not a chance of buying a place with anything above a postage stamp of land.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 03:15:01 pm »
But the prices are going to start dropping in the next few months, and will probably stay down till we start to recover form Covid

Really? I've been looking a lot at property lately and all i'm seeing is prices going up very fast. Mostly done by people from the south of England selling up at a massive profit and buying up here, wanting a new start and to escape the ratrace. I am totally priced out of the market now. Not a chance of buying a place with anything above a postage stamp of land.
Prices of farm, smallholdings and equestrian properties went up at least 10-20% this year!!! Thats because most people were fed up of sitting in flats during the lockdowns and so many more people had the idea of moving to the countryside.
We went to see a lot of properties this summer (during lockdown) and all estate agents confirmed it.
There was one large farm (400 acres) advertised for £6mln!!! They ended up selling it for... £7mln!
£1 million pounds more than initially advertised!
Unfortunately it is the same with most smallholdings around midlands at least...
There was one rrally nice property couple of weeks ago - 2 semi houses, with 11 acres behind the back garden. Sold within couple of days - advertised for £630k, I.e. £260k per house +£110 for the land, which is actually not bad, but you would have to spend another £100k to renovate the houses as they were in quite a bad state.
Unfortunately as I said it sold really fast!
There is one advertised since March z 3 bedroom bungalow with 42 acres. Not selling for a long time because its too much land for rich horse people who only want 2-5 acres, but at the same time not worth for big commercial farmers.
If I had £900k it would be perfect for what we want however! Especially that it is 15 mins drive from Leicester City.

I hope you are right - that smallholding prices will go down soon - but when? When people start commiting suicides because of lack of work, I.e. lockdown?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 07:55:38 pm »
I'm only repeating what my Estate Agent friend told me - that with job losses and reduced wages and salaries, mortgages will be cut so prices will come down.  It made logical sense to me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 08:24:09 pm »
I'm only repeating what my Estate Agent friend told me - that with job losses and reduced wages and salaries, mortgages will be cut so prices will come down.  It made logical sense to me.
My father in law said the same thing - in winter properties will be cheaper - the boom osnjust temporary
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 08:09:27 am »
very much boom here in Wales ..... people who have been working from home in their suburban box are now moving here offering over the asking price for smallholdings when they dont even really want the land ....   think it will probably be about 2 years before they get fed up of the rain and move back east
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS