Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mixing rams  (Read 1758 times)

epherdwicks

• Joined Apr 2016
mixing rams
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:16:33 pm »
I have two rams, one of whom I will use with my ewes this year, and one of whom I would like to sell if I can find a buyer.  In the meantime he will be on his own when the first one is in with my ewes.  If I put the lonely one in with this year's ram lambs (uncastrated, born April) will he knock them about too much asserting himself as the boss? I am trying to keep one of my paddocks free for later in the winter so it would be good if he wasn't hogging whole field to himself!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: mixing rams
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 08:03:23 pm »
If you are going to sell the spare (shearling?) I would get him advertised asap considering tupping time is practically here and most people, barring disasters, have their tups lined up by now. Ideally he will be gone before your tup goes in.

If not he shouldn't be on his own. Are they herdwicks? If so, he could well be fine with your tup lambs. If he's an older tup and has worked then he could be a pain to you or your neighbours if you don't have good fencing. As could your tup lambs.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:03:54 pm »
I would put him in with the ram lambs, unless he is a real thug and picks on just one there should be no problems.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 01:48:03 am »
We have never had problems mixing older tups with tup lambs.  The lambs get chased around for half an hour then they all settle down.  The lambs will get humped by the older tup but it seems to keep them all happy and helps maintain the pecking order  ::) .  If after a day things haven't settled and you are worried if they fight, then you can take him out and think again.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:08:38 am »
I would put him in with the ram lambs without a second thought, they will only fight if one of the lambs stands up to him, which is unlikely.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 01:23:54 pm »
I would put him in with the ram lambs without a second thought, they will only fight if one of the lambs stands up to him, which is unlikely.

I take it you don't keep Hebrideans, or Soay  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 06:35:56 am »

I take it you don't keep Hebrideans, or Soay  :roflanim:

Haha - your right, mine are comercial, Lleyn and Texel x

epherdwicks

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 03:06:58 pm »
Thanks everyone - looks like he'll go in with the young ones, fingers crossed.  They talk through the fence now anyway so hopefully he won't be too much of a bully.

Yes he is advertised for sale but no takers yet!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS