Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are my geese!  (Read 1807 times)

Lancashire Smallholder

• Joined Apr 2020
What are my geese!
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:18:47 pm »
This year we tried to hatch our own flock of geese, but sadly only 2 hatched, and only one survived. I decided to buy some goslings to add immediately to make a flock... which worked! One group was described as Norfolk Geese and are all white. I was told the others were Embdens... but when they arrived they had black beaks and and you can see from the photos we have 3 buff coloured, one grey speckled and one off white/slightly buff!! They can’t be Embdens... but any one know what they are!?!

Thanks

Lancashire Smallholder

• Joined Apr 2020
Re: What are my geese!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:19:42 pm »
Ops.. sorry no idea why the photos are upside down! I assure you my geese are the right way up!  :D

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 12:42:00 pm »
I thing the grey ones are Toulouse geese. The white ones look like Emdens, but could be Legarth. I suspect the speckled ones are a cross between the two.

I'm not sure that Norfolk geese are a recognised breed but there is a very large producer of Legarth geese called Norfolk Geese (they have an interesting website). Maybe your supplier got a bit confused? :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 04:09:47 pm »
right way up geese 2 won't resize, geese 3 opens right way up
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 08:34:25 pm »
Answer to the question "what are my geese" is they are not ducks   ;D

The white ones are probably commercial "broiler" geese and the rest are farmyard crosses - nothing wrong with them.
Do they have single or double lobs between the legs?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Lancashire Smallholder

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 09:23:27 pm »
Thanks for confirming they are not ducks!!  ;D

They have a mixture of single and double lobes.

Lancashire Smallholder

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 09:25:05 pm »
I thing the grey ones are Toulouse geese. The white ones look like Emdens, but could be Legarth. I suspect the speckled ones are a cross between the two.

I think you are right the supplier was either confused... or trying it on!!

I did wonder if they might be Toulouse, thanks

I'm not sure that Norfolk geese are a recognised breed but there is a very large producer of Legarth geese called Norfolk Geese (they have an interesting website). Maybe your supplier got a bit confused? :)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:56:03 pm »
Thanks for confirming they are not ducks!!  ;D

They have a mixture of single and double lobes.
They are definitelly not Embden - pure embden are actually very rare nowadays. Neither they are Toulouse.
Pomeranian geese are always single lobed and come in either grey, white and saddled with grey head. But as i said before they are probably a farmyard mix - by far the most common type of geese people keep today.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 09:43:25 am »
Whatever breed they are, they all look in fine condition. They are obviously thriving under your care. :thumbsup:

Lancashire Smallholder

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:14:28 am »
Whatever breed they are, they all look in fine condition. They are obviously thriving under your care. :thumbsup:

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say that. They currently have a 1.2 arce field to play in all day so they are rather spoilt!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS