Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing advice  (Read 1042 times)

Zoe76

• Joined Oct 2020
Fencing advice
« on: October 12, 2020, 06:54:37 pm »
Hello,

I have just started out in sheep keeping. I have a couple of Ryeland ewes that I would like to move to new grazing and then add a few more to my flock.

I have been offered the use of a couple of acres of land to graze my sheep. There is a public footpath along one side so I want to fence it off so that my sheep are protected from any dogs. (The land has been used by dog walkers freely for some time now).

Firstly, I wanted to see if people think it is a good idea in the first place, as long as I can keep them secure.

Secondly, what would be the recommended fencing to put in place, height etc. to ensure that they are secure.

Any advice gratefully received as I am fairly wet behind the ears when it comes to sheep keeping.

I look forward to your help.

Zoe  :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Fencing advice
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 10:10:24 am »
Bargepole comes to mind. If it is popular with dog walkers I would not graze sheep in it given the choice. Too many irresponsible owners and even with stockfence they can still jump it or squeeze through a hole. I had a dog get through a chain link fence from a footpath into my sheep last year (the field was not part of the footpath).

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 10:55:39 am »
Unless you are using electric, or the side shared by the footpath is very short,  the cost of effectively fencing off one side is likely to far outweigh the value of grazing the additional 2 acres of someone else's land.
Dog walkers tend to resent electric and are quite likely to rip it up, push it over/and or take your battery. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:57:23 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 11:28:43 am »
I wouldn't take it on I'm afraid. It will cost you £100's or £1000's if using a contracter to fence it securely against dogs and then a determined dog will still find a way. Its not on your land either so its lost money if the person askes for the field back and you won't be on site to keep an eye on them. Far to many reasons not to for me I'm afraid.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:19:24 pm »
I have the bargepole in mind too, partly for the reasons given about fencing, although if you did the work yourself it wouldn't cost quite as much - still a hefty outlay though.  The second reason though is that if dog walkers have been using the ground freely as you say, then it will be heavily contaminated with worms from the dogs' faeces.  When someone is happy for you to take over some land, you have to wonder what is the advantage to them - in this case it may be that your sheep would be making a barrier for their own animals against the worms and the dogs.  I truly love dogs but they do  :poo:  a lot and unfortunately many owners don't worm them regularly and don't pick up behind them, especially out in the countryside.
I would suggest that this area is probably not the best start for your increasing flock.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Zoe76

• Joined Oct 2020
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 05:54:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for their honesty. I have respectfully declined the offer and have managed to find a small area to move my two girls onto over the winter. I shall continue to try and find some land to rent that is more suitable for the purpose.  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS