Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blueberries  (Read 305 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Blueberries
« on: October 05, 2020, 05:21:54 pm »
Does anyone know if aminopyralid contamination in compost/well rotted manure does affect blueberries?

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 08:37:37 pm »
If you don't get an answer here, it may be worth asking AHDB Horticulture team... it's the kind of thing they may know!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 10:15:44 pm »
All I could find was a listing in a banned article (presumably American and not allowed in EU countries) which mentioned damage to blueberries but I couldn't read the article of course to find the details.  There are articles about persistant chemical contamination of composts damaging blueberries, but they don't specifically mention aminopyralid.

Were it me, I would err on the side of caution:  spread your manure exposed to the air somewhere for six months, which is supposed to give the chemical time to break down, then use it on non-susceptible crops.  Crops most affected are things like tomatoes, potatoes and various beans
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 05:58:50 pm »

Were it me, I would err on the side of caution:  spread your manure exposed to the air somewhere for six months, which is supposed to give the chemical time to break down, then use it on non-susceptible crops.  Crops most affected are things like tomatoes, potatoes and various beans

I would like to, but they are in pots and need re-potting (or moving to an outside bed) urgently. I can probably just about justify bying some Dalefoot compost to keep them in their pots over-winter and the re-pot again next summer, but it is mot ideal, as these really would need to go outside - and I do not have a space that was left empty over summer.... anyway, still trying to work something out... I may just have to bite the bullet and see - my tomatoes were badly affected, and are now producing finally some nice tomatoes, so I know the plants do overcome the aminopyralid.

Blueberries

Started by kjohnson34

Replies: 4
Views: 2333
Last post February 10, 2011, 11:04:13 am
by supplies for smallholders
Why can't I grow blueberries?

Started by Liz M

Replies: 12
Views: 3716
Last post June 10, 2012, 08:51:40 pm
by Factotum
Blueberries with male flowers only?

Started by Womble

Replies: 29
Views: 1990
Last post May 22, 2020, 01:07:57 pm
by doganjo
Blueberries - varieties suitable for Southeast Scotland

Started by Anke

Replies: 18
Views: 2171
Last post January 16, 2019, 09:31:42 pm
by Anke

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS