Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blueberries  (Read 4027 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Blueberries
« on: October 05, 2020, 05:21:54 pm »
Does anyone know if aminopyralid contamination in compost/well rotted manure does affect blueberries?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 10:15:44 pm »
All I could find was a listing in a banned article (presumably American and not allowed in EU countries) which mentioned damage to blueberries but I couldn't read the article of course to find the details.  There are articles about persistant chemical contamination of composts damaging blueberries, but they don't specifically mention aminopyralid.

Were it me, I would err on the side of caution:  spread your manure exposed to the air somewhere for six months, which is supposed to give the chemical time to break down, then use it on non-susceptible crops.  Crops most affected are things like tomatoes, potatoes and various beans
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 05:58:50 pm »

Were it me, I would err on the side of caution:  spread your manure exposed to the air somewhere for six months, which is supposed to give the chemical time to break down, then use it on non-susceptible crops.  Crops most affected are things like tomatoes, potatoes and various beans

I would like to, but they are in pots and need re-potting (or moving to an outside bed) urgently. I can probably just about justify bying some Dalefoot compost to keep them in their pots over-winter and the re-pot again next summer, but it is mot ideal, as these really would need to go outside - and I do not have a space that was left empty over summer.... anyway, still trying to work something out... I may just have to bite the bullet and see - my tomatoes were badly affected, and are now producing finally some nice tomatoes, so I know the plants do overcome the aminopyralid.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS