Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: drugs / treatment  (Read 2503 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
drugs / treatment
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:40:25 pm »
by this i am trying to say does anyone know where online i could go and find a list of all medicens
for treating different ailments with goats.
just want to get myself familiar with meds and what they are used for.
thanks in return for any replys.
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: drugs / treatment
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:54:36 pm »
What kind of medicines do you mean Langdon?

A lot of medication is licensed and controlled, and it can be unlikely to get it anywhere except by being administered by your vet. I don't usually buy medication online- I get it from either our vet or from local feed/agricultural supplies merchants.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:04:37 am »
thanks beth for your reply,
i think that i have misled led you!
i dont mean buying meds ( drugs ) online, i meant finding just a list of them that say what they treat regarding goats health.
i know you can buy them through the vets and farmers merchants.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:24:23 am »
Oh I see- not sure where you might find a list. The trouble is, different people use different products!

I'll have a look and see if I can find anything.

Beth

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »
it maybe easier to list the conditions and then find the treatment. there could be thousands of drugs.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 05:50:26 pm »
There are almost no drugs that are licensed for goats, but sheep medicines are usually used, as both species get similar diseases. Sometimes however the dosage is different, for example with wormers you would use 1.5 to 1.8 times the sheep dose for goats.

I would say a good basic goats veterinary book will also list the types of medicines you will need, I find that "The Goatkeeper's Veterinary Book" by Peter Dunn (4th edition) is more than adequate (but I also have sheep books about and always cross reference to them as well).

The basic ones are:

Wormers (always discuss with the vet which ones to use after faecal egg count, as most of them cannot be used at all during lactation)
Vaccines (the important one is Lambivac, usual sheep dose every six months against clostridial diseases and also includes enterotoxaemia)
Antibiotic - again only on prescription from the vet, you will need to know the weight of your goat

I also do not buy medicines over the internet, get (also for the sheep) individual amounts for specific animals (often in a syringe - but have so far not been stopped by the police!). That way it is also a lot cheaper. Vaccines (Lambivac) can be purchased from merchants, and you will need to buy a 25 animal dose bottle minimum, as that's the smallest one you can get...

My vet is very keen on goats and I find that helps quite a lot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS