Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: c.a.e. test in morning  (Read 4256 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
c.a.e. test in morning
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:40:24 pm »
taken milly to vet in morning for her c.a.e.test, after such so many setbacks ( truck been the biggest )
we are now hopefully one step closer to getting one of our girls mated ( fingers crossed ).
just hope i can catch milly in heat and bring her to a stud which i have allready been in touch with.
was thinking maybe of going to the stud and bringing back a rag to tease her!
will let ye know how we get on.
molly on the other hand is still looking really sorry next tuesday she gets her second injection.
her left eye is weeping now, im getting a little frustrated with this e.g. i treat her in the same way as milly and all these complaints >:(
sometimes i feel totally useless with her, im sorry to say but i have been thinking of replacing her but wife and kids want to keep her.
i hope you guys can understand me here, i dont see the point in keeping stock that makes you spend money on with nothing
in return. but i will keep trying with her for a while and see.
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: c.a.e. test in morning
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:21:34 pm »
poor molly, she does seem to have one thing after another.
Are you having her tested for CAE too?  might be worth ruling out....

good luck for Milly, hope all goes well
:)
Little Blue

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:30:58 pm »
I think your trying to justify to yourself that you need molly for a reason other than just for the love of having her. - we all know you love her too much to get rid of her and we know that she is in the best of hands :) - you come across as far from useless, infact the opposite.

I routinely go through feelings of despair when things go wrong with animals as they do, sometimes there is no payback other than the knowledge that what your doing is right and makes the little critter happier or more comfortable in times of illness.

I hope this month goes in the right direction for both of your little goaties - and no more breakdowns on that damn truck!!

Ta

Baz

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:13:19 pm »
thanks little blue going to meet the stud owners tomorrow while i wait for test results.
bringing back a rag for milly ;)
im not going to breed from molly as i think she is just a poorly goat in general.
we are going to keep her as a companion for milly as they get on so much.
will keep you up dated with millys progress!

Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:17:01 pm »
sound thinking there mate.  she does seem to be the "poorly" one... like our Margo was in the end.

what breed is the billy?  (sorry if you've said already and I've missed it!)
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:19:37 pm »
thanks baz milly was a good girl today in vets for her c.a.e. test just have to wait now for results >:(
have arranged to go and meet the stud owners tomorrow and chat as how we are going to go about milly meeting billy !!!!
as i was saying to little blue we have decided not to breed from molly as we are convinced she is a poorly goat in general.
she will be a companion for milly and hopefully a baby sitter when needed!
how is things with you? hope all is well ;)
p.s. truck going good so far
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:22:29 pm »
not sure, to be honest the way things have been lately around ere i dont care!! as long as milly gets on with billy!!!
will let you know tommorow night when i come home from the stud ;)
langdon
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:21:31 am »
I think you are probably right not to breed from a goat that is not in good health, and with her only being a goatling just now there should be no reason not to try her next year if she improves.

But I can see your point about not keeping her, as the vet fees are probably mounting up! However what would not keeping her mean - selling her on - knowing that she is very likely to disappoint any new owner? And you would still need a companion for your other goat, at least until she had a kid, so I guess the decision is not imminent anyway.

Difficult one, you have my sympathy, and I wouldn't have solution to it either!

Anke.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »
their breed of goats are british alpines.
black and white in colour and they look lush.
the enviroment they were kept and housed in is in fantastic shape, the people themselves could not have been
any nicer.
its going to be a first for them to have their billy serve some other nanny!!!
even they them selves are excited!!!!
and they even said that if milly doesnt catch first time around milly can come back a second time around for free ;)
and they are willing to help with any birth difficults.
cant believe it me and beth are really chuffed as it has felt a battle getting this far.
they dont live to far from us either so thats a bonus for the future and the new home ( fingers crossed ) is even closer ;)
p.s. brought back the rag in a bag! waiting now for the c.a.e. results to come back then i will tease her with it!!!!!!!!!!!
how is things with you little blue?
hope all is well
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 06:52:38 pm »
thanks anke for your reply ;)
its a hard one aint it.
see your point in the fact that its not a decision to be made right now.
what do you think vets thoughts are in a situation like this?
do you think that they too can see and understand that it makes no sense to keep a sick animal just for companionship
and wasting money on bills, feed etc.
im not expecting you to be able to look into their heads, just seeing what you think.
thanks langdon
 :goat:
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
A vet will almost always try and save the animal, that's his job (and his money - and I don't mean that in any negative way, it's just their job). It would be your decision to either keep her or even get her mated. But also it may just be that she is a bit weaker and will grow out of her "teenage" problems. Wait and see how it goes over winter - unless there comes a point where she gets something that requires ongoing treatment and/or the vet's bills are just too large.

Molly might also benefit from some vitamin/mineral feed supplements, mine all get some seaweed sprinkled onto their sugarbeet, but there is also Caprivite, which is 5.70 for a 2kg bucket from Ascott. It should last quite a while.

One other thing is, have you got quite a few sheep farmers nearby/direct neighbours? Ask them if they have any deficiencies in their soil (such as Copper, Selenium or Cobalt). If they do, then you could have the same problems if your goats graze and/or you use local hay. Also the local vets should know about such problems. Again there are a few ways to overcome these, you would probably have to add to their feed.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 06:24:24 pm »
A vet will almost always try and save the animal, that's his job (and his money - and I don't mean that in any negative way, it's just their job). It would be your decision to either keep her or even get her mated. But also it may just be that she is a bit weaker and will grow out of her "teenage" problems. Wait and see how it goes over winter - unless there comes a point where she gets something that requires ongoing treatment and/or the vet's bills are just too large.

Anke is right, most vets are looking to what will be their income. It a horrible thing to say, but it is true, and I suppose it is their livelihood.

You might find that pregancy actually helps Molly- but I still think you would be sensible to wait until next year, and just concentrate on the healthy one to have kids first.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS