Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Smallholding  (Read 1186 times)

DalesFarmer

• Joined Sep 2020
  • North Yorkshire
New to Smallholding
« on: September 28, 2020, 01:41:49 pm »
Hi there. Just a note to introduce myself as I’m new to smallholding. Moved into our smallholding in North Yorkshire in May. It’s sos beautiful up year but oh boy it needs lots of work, but starting with around 25 hens (Due to collect 2nd week October as 18-20 week old birds) and sheep next year as we’ve let a couple of fields out to other farmers in the interim.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: New to Smallholding
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:47:59 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS :wave:

You are certainly in a beautiful part of the world. Do you have any previous experience of keeping animals or are you starting completely from scratch?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:27:17 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :raining: Carnoustie  :wave: . We're in our twentieth year - the To Do list hasn't got appreciabley shorter  ::)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 06:45:27 pm »
Ey up!
 :wave:  currently waving from Wales but a Yorkshire native.
What are your big long term aspirations?

DalesFarmer

• Joined Sep 2020
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 07:08:23 pm »
Hi to all who responded to my email. Long term aspirations include purchasing some Ryeland sheep next year but first we need planning permission to erect a barn unless we go for a more temporary method as planning aren’t keen that we have one. We’ll see on that score... I want to build (I mean I want my lovely husband to build a compost area and some raised beds for all my veg and additional herbs for my hens. My to do list just gets longer and longer. Today I was out in the pouring rain and feeling just very happy - wearing waterproofs covered in mud but got a lot of digging done. I don’t have any experience at all keeping hens/sheep etc, however my husband comes from a farming family so that’s a bit of a help. Otherwise, yes, all from scratch. Thanks so much for all your welcome messages.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 07:16:04 pm »
Not sure you'd need a barn for Ryelands - though for shelter, for e.g. lambing I know many people use big polytunnels...

I know those feelings - both the to-do list and the happy mud-wading!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 07:27:06 am »
 I second YL  ..... barn not needed for sheep .....  they are happy ourside all  year with some shelter .... lamb late and they are fine outdoors. .... or use a polytunnel designed for sheep.

If you are enjoying getting very wet and muddy you are in the right place .... enjoy.. :wave:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 08:10:01 am »
You will need somewhere to store hay though (not that it needs to be anything complicated).

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 06:03:50 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from  :sunshine: Shropshire. Sounds like you're just the right sort of people.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS