Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to dispatch  (Read 8671 times)

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
Re: How to dispatch
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 04:37:36 pm »
i do it by hand but i used to have a short peice of wood bout 18" bout 1 1/2 " round they call em a preist (reads the animal its last rights) quick blow to back of head job done very quick and very humane

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 08:25:18 pm »
I have tried for two days now to dispatch one if my cockerels. I catch it, hold it upside down, feel sorry for it and let it go

ditto

I think it comes down to this...

do you think the bird is suffering...if so, take a deep breath and do the deed, come inside and pour yourself a stiff drink :) you will feel better knowing you did the right thing rather than allow the bird to suffer

if it is a 'surplus' cockerel... think about the lovely life he has had in comparison with shop bought chicken, think about the complaints from your neighbours, and the bill from the vet if you 'chicken' out and get him PTS... then take a deep breath and do the deed, come inside and pour yourself a stiff drink ;D you will feel better knowing you did were able to give the bird a dignified life and death, and hopefully, he will not go to waste and be appreciated as a lovely dinner.

Cameron - hopefully at such a momentous occasion your mum will pour the stiff drink for you ;D

And, this is all coming from a vegetarian who culled her first hen a couple of months ago when it was poorly. I used the broomstick method which wasn't pleasant or probably as quick as it would have been in the hands of an experienced person, but once I'd stopped shaking I did feel better knowing that I had done the right thing. As it was about 6.30 am I didn't pour myself a stiff drink, but I certainly felt like I needed one! ;D
And I have surplus cockerels who I plan to eat when they are big enough! If I am brave enough!! ;D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 09:32:18 pm »
Tomorrow is D day, i can't let things go on longer  :'(

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 09:41:47 pm »
plan it. then get it done. don't think about it just do it. what we do is we have a catcher im no good at that. they bring it in and then i do the deed. there is no waiting. it really is easier than you think but still not enjoyable.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »
hope it goes ok cameron

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 09:28:27 am »
Hope it goes well, Cameron, you will feel better once it's done. :)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:55 am »
I despatched a cockerel last week and it was not pleasant never is but I catch them and do it quick. I use broomstick method and I try not to think too much about it. Get everything prepared before and just do it mechaniclly it really is easier than you think. Good luck.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 09:03:31 am »
one more bit of advice is if you eat them  prepare some where to hang them or stick them in an upturned road cone it will stop the bruising of the meat when the spasam

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS