Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to dispatch  (Read 8673 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
How to dispatch
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:52:49 pm »
I have a couple of hens who are starting to look really ill, they are exbarn layers and have not been used to the fluxuating temprature, i started with 6 and now have 3,  :'(

if things get much worse i have to consider dispatching them, normally i shoot them or get some one else to pull their necks, this time shooting is not an option as dad is away and i have no access, and as dad is away he cannot pull their necks.

the deed falls on me

what is the best way to do the deed?

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: How to dispatch
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »
I have a humane despatcher screwed to the side of a shed.  It's less unpleasant than wringing their necks, and it's quick.

John

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »
How do humane dispatchers work? and how much do they cost

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:18:42 pm »
Have a look in the Ascott online catalogue - this shows you a picture of the wall mounted despatcher at £29.99p

http://www.ascott.biz/acatalog/Humane-Wall-Mounted-Dispatcher-PY91.html

It's not the only solution, but it's simple & works.

John

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:28 pm »
we've just invested in a hand held despatcher.   but not needed to use it yet.  think it was £14 (but could have just made that up!)
Little Blue

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:16:52 am »
I use an electric stunner, very expensive but very effective. I found the wall-mounted "neck-breaker" type didn't work every time and that can be distressing for dispatcher and dispatchee!

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:17 am »
We use the broom handle method,I have found it works better than the humane despatcher (but I am not sure I have it set right). I used it once and though wow that was quick only to find that the hen was still alive!!

There are various ways if you need to do it by hand, but the broom handle goes on a flat surface, you place the chickens head underneath, with the underside of the beak laying flat on the floor. Position the handle as close to the skull as possible, the pull up and twist at the same time, when you first do it you will either pull off the head or not do it strong enough, in which case the chicken wont be dead, go for the stronger option for the first time to stop any suffering, until you have done it once you wont be able to gauge it.

If you pick up the chicken while its alive and have a good feel at the neck and skull structure you will feel that what you are aiming to do is 'pop' the head away from the spine.

The other method I was taught is to tie up a piece of string on a beam so that when then chicken is tied upside down by its feet, the head will be just at the level of your hands when they are by your side. You then cup the head in your hands and push down and twist, this is more complicated to explain that it actually is to do it!!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:07:32 am »
i just use a broom stick and is very cost effective and very reliable i get a kill 100% no hiccups no nothing brrom stick = dead  i always have an axe at the ready as i always like to have a back up just in case  just make sure your on concrete and your sorted

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:22:29 pm »
When I had to do this on my own I use my OH's small but very sharp axe. It is a bit messy but quick and dead-certain (sorry). And I can do it by myself.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 09:22:04 am »
i have to say i admire you all greatly, i have been following this thread with much interest, and it has made me think it is something  i suppose i should be able to do, but im really not sure i could.
But it has got me thinking that if ever any of my hens were ill i would not want them to suffer and doing the deed would be the kindest thing, so this has got me soul searching.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 10:19:45 am »
I have got one of the Ascott wall mounted dispatchers, but having read the Humane society stuff about various methods was unsure how much they suffer, so now I have a short piece of 2x2" and give them a sharp whack on the back of the head then immediately use the dispatcher.  I also leave the neck in the dispatcher till all nerve reaction (fluttering) has stopped so I am absolutely certain there can be no mistakes.

I feel more confident of "doing the deed" now if I have a bird I think needs to be culled as I feel they don't even know what is going to happen, and I think it is not any worse to them than just picking them up carrying them across the yard

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:23:26 am »
I have tried for two days now to dispatch one if my cockerels. I catch it, hold it upside down, feel sorry for it and let it go. Help!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 11:26:17 am »
i think that is what i would do, will be interested to see what answers you get  :wave:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »
I have tried for two days now to dispatch one if my cockerels. I catch it, hold it upside down, feel sorry for it and let it go. Help!
do the axe method then you can't chicken out.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 02:11:31 pm »
I have tried for two days now to dispatch one if my cockerels. I catch it, hold it upside down, feel sorry for it and let it go

ditto

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS