Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bramble & Raspberry advice please  (Read 3325 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Bramble & Raspberry advice please
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:39:40 pm »
Looking at planting some raspberries (autumn fruiting) and bramble bare roots for next season. Just wondering when i should be planting them. Also which variety of thornless bramble would you recommend for a sheltered sunny(ish) position at an elevation of around 600ft?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Bramble & Raspberry advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 03:40:54 pm »
Mine are all planted.  I've put them in a raised bed for protection, against a south west facing fence.

I have rasps, brambles, tayberries, can't remember the names of them all but there's a wide selection with full details of growing conditions on all the major garden/fruit websites.  I seem to remember Loch Maree and Adrienne of the thornless brambles but if you go on to GardenFocused.co.uk you can put your location in and it will help.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 05:32:46 pm »
Some years we get fruit from our autumn fruiting rasps and other years they are frosted long before the potential crop has reached the picking stage. We are further south than you, so how much of a crop you would get is an important consideration.

What I have noticed with brambles is that the thornless varieties, which are based on american cultivars I believe, are nowhere near as tasty as the thorny kind.  The fruit tends to be large but squashy.  On the other hand, thornless brambles are so much easier to handle and pick than those pesky thorny ones which try to trap you forever!

I would say start planting from next week onwards.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:27:23 am »
Fleecewife, I cannot grow summer fruiting rasps, but I have autumn fruiting rasps that fruit really well, but I treat them like summer fruiters, I don’t cut the canes down in winter, but in spring when they start to bud I just cut out any dead canes, they usually start to fruit in July and go through to first frosts.
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 12:15:38 pm »
The reason i went for autumn fruiting rasps is because we get late frosts here in Moray (i'm 20 miles inland on a hill). We've had our first frosts already and they can last well into April. So the flowers could be damaged easily.

As for the brambles. I might just try the thornless and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Just need to plant out my blueberries and blackcurrants now as well  :thumbsup:
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »
Fleecewife, I cannot grow summer fruiting rasps, but I have autumn fruiting rasps that fruit really well, but I treat them like summer fruiters, I don’t cut the canes down in winter, but in spring when they start to bud I just cut out any dead canes, they usually start to fruit in July and go through to first frosts.

Hi Cheviot  :wave:

I'm surprised you can't grow summer rasps.  Ours are all mixed up and I don't do much to them at all except take out some of the dead canes.  I can tell the autumn fruits because they are larger and darker than the summer ones, but a bit more sporadic.

We have had our first frosts for the past few nights, -3 last night.  Our last frosts of spring can be into June, but we still get plenty of rasps alang
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS