Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What causes blister please?!  (Read 9094 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
What causes blister please?!
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:26:27 am »
Wondered if anyone can help me please?
I was in the garden weeding for a while day before yesterday and then picked some flowers for a friend. An hour later my arm came up with little blisters. I believe this is where one of the plants sap must have touched it.
I’d like to remove said plant because it’s really sore! Pharmacist said it was a plant, couldn’t help, nothing to put on it or recommend.

Yesterday I picked several possible contenders and applied a dot of sap to my arm; iris type thing, daisy type thing, hydrangeas, red-hot poker, think roses must be ok as I eat them and been cutting them for years! No reactions detected. There’s no giant hogweed here. Any thoughts?

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: What causes blister please?!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:01:55 am »
I had a similar reaction when I was scratched on my neck with the edge of a freshly cut hazel twig. Could it be small scratches

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:08:52 pm »
Chemist should have advised either Germoline which has a mild anaesthetic effect as well as being antiseptic  or calamine lotion to take the heat out, and ibuprofen internally for the same effects - reduces inflammation and reduces pain
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 01:11:40 pm »
Antihistamine cream would help too.

I get a similar looking thing from blackthorn which is why I hate it - for me the scars take about a year to fade completely.  I also come out in blisters from strawberry leaves  :( .  I wonder if you have to have the scratch as well as the sap to cause the reaction in your case? In which case look at scratchy things which you pushed past to get to the flowers. Or it could be something which acts in the same way as giant hogweed and only causes the reaction when exposed to sunlight (I know you said you don't have any of that but it could be something similar.)  I'm thinking of rue which causes blisters and rose thorns and euphorbia which is very sappy.

How about taking a pic of the area you were picking in, showing us what's planted there? Without knowing what plants you've got it's hard to suggest possibilities.

Have a look at this : http://www.realgardeners.co.uk/irritantplants.htm  which has pictures of possible culprits.  It includes the oh so innocuous Lobelia, also known as Pukeweed and Vomitwort  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:34:15 pm »
Some very useful experiences/examples here:  loads of plants I'm careful with, but I'll throw in Achillea to the thread.   

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 09:04:57 pm »
Thanks guys.
I guess maybe a rose thorn is the most likely then, a scratch and bit of sap at the same time. The top of the blisters are remarkably still intact and don’t betray any sign of a scratch, but could be.

It’s a big garden which I’ve inherited, many plants and I don’t know them. I’ve tried out quite a few candidates now with a drop of sap but no reaction. Maybe I’ll never find it? Don’t have any euphorbia that I’ve seen.
I didn’t know yarrow could do that but guess its a relation of hogweed.
Not as sore as it was at least.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:25 am »
Thanks guys.
I guess maybe a rose thorn is the most likely then, a scratch and bit of sap at the same time. The top of the blisters are remarkably still intact and don’t betray any sign of a scratch, but could be.

It’s a big garden which I’ve inherited, many plants and I don’t know them. I’ve tried out quite a few candidates now with a drop of sap but no reaction. Maybe I’ll never find it? Don’t have any euphorbia that I’ve seen.
I didn’t know yarrow could do that but guess its a relation of hogweed.
Not as sore as it was at least.
Why don't you join My Scottish Garden if you are on Facebook [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member]  https://www.facebook.com/groups/myscottishgarden
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 03:52:14 pm »
Re yarrow [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member];  was tying/propping up a clump of it once and had very itchy rash on lower arms afterward - no blisters mind.  I'm now very careful about how I handle Achilleas.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 10:47:25 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS