Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Radishes grown for their seed pods  (Read 3930 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Radishes grown for their seed pods
« on: September 16, 2020, 05:57:57 pm »
I every so often binge-watch Huw Richards on youtube.... he mentioned in one of his videos that he likes to keep some of his radishes on to flowering/seed setting and eats the seed pods - I was intrigued and left some of my radishes to go to flower.... and I have to say the seed pods taste amazing - small but nice, crunchy and quite spicy. Only problem is... very few of the plants set seed, despite loads of flowers... my question is: Does anyone do this with their radishes and if yes, have you found a particular good seed-setting variety to grow? Are early ones better than mid-summer sown ones (as were mine). I am keen to grow enough for a funky ferment next year...

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: Radishes grown for their seed pods
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:26:17 pm »
It may be that you had poor seed set as a result of pollen beetles eating the pollen rather than radish variety - we certainly have problems setting  seed from rocket in mid summer for this reason. Try sowing at different times to see if this can help.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:42:48 am »
Yes, I will do a more structured experiment next year, lack of pollinating insects (or eating of the pollen) may well be an issue....

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 08:48:30 pm »
[member=3211]Anke[/member] I have some radishes at this stage - are you eating the green pods or waiting till they go brown?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:11:55 am »
Thomson&Morgan used to sell a variety specifically for eating the pods, which were larger than normal radish seed pods.  I think it might have been called Munchen Bier (apologies for the lack of an umlaut - I don't know how to make my keyboard spit one out)  I didn't find them any superior to normal radish pods.  I let a patch go to seed this year too, but only a couple of plants actually set seed at all, so I let them mature and sprinkle themselves around - my idea of perennials  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:11 am »
[member=3211]Anke[/member] I have some radishes at this stage - are you eating the green pods or waiting till they go brown?

No, you eat them green. Just a wee snack here, not many have set seeds, though the bees and other insects are very busy in there just now.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 07:25:27 am »
Thomson&Morgan used to sell a variety specifically for eating the pods, which were larger than normal radish seed pods.  I think it might have been called Munchen Bier (apologies for the lack of an umlaut - I don't know how to make my keyboard spit one out)  I didn't find them any superior to normal radish pods.  I let a patch go to seed this year too, but only a couple of plants actually set seed at all, so I let them mature and sprinkle themselves around - my idea of perennials  ;D

Thanks, I have checked München Bier out, will give them a try next spring. (German keyboard has "Umlauts" on its main set of keys....)

naturelovingfarmer

• Joined May 2021
  • Ohio River Valley
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 12:44:23 pm »
Mustard seed pods are more prolific and self fertile. I've been eating them for years. Honestly thought nobody else did that.
Turn your problem into a solution. Learn new things. Adapt as you go. Plans should be fluid and subject to change. I start planning for things years in advance and by the time I do them they have usually changed radically.

"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8" ~Bodhidharma

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 08:59:36 am »

No, you eat them green. Just a wee snack here, not many have set seeds, though the bees and other insects are very busy in there just now.
That reminded me.. - I followed your advice last year and ate many many severals of them - I also enjoyed myself introducing between 6 and 10 other people to the experience.
It was amusing to  look at the doubt on their face about eating them until I did.
Most of them enjoyed it but I doubt if any of them will remember for this year though.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 12:44:58 pm »

Well I didn't get any München Bier seeds either.... and lost my first batch of my usual radishes to the snow in April... I will leave a few of the next batch to go to flower and hopefully have some seed pods again, however the rest of the family is not enamoured with them, and fermenting them wasn't my cup of tea either.... so a few for snacking on will be enough I think.
That reminded me.. - I followed your advice last year and ate many many severals of them - I also enjoyed myself introducing between 6 and 10 other people to the experience.
It was amusing to  look at the doubt on their face about eating them until I did.
Most of them enjoyed it but I doubt if any of them will remember for this year though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS