Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Radishes grown for their seed pods  (Read 131 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Radishes grown for their seed pods
« on: September 16, 2020, 05:57:57 pm »
I every so often binge-watch Huw Richards on youtube.... he mentioned in one of his videos that he likes to keep some of his radishes on to flowering/seed setting and eats the seed pods - I was intrigued and left some of my radishes to go to flower.... and I have to say the seed pods taste amazing - small but nice, crunchy and quite spicy. Only problem is... very few of the plants set seed, despite loads of flowers... my question is: Does anyone do this with their radishes and if yes, have you found a particular good seed-setting variety to grow? Are early ones better than mid-summer sown ones (as were mine). I am keen to grow enough for a funky ferment next year...

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: Radishes grown for their seed pods
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:26:17 pm »
It may be that you had poor seed set as a result of pollen beetles eating the pollen rather than radish variety - we certainly have problems setting  seed from rocket in mid summer for this reason. Try sowing at different times to see if this can help.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:42:48 am »
Yes, I will do a more structured experiment next year, lack of pollinating insects (or eating of the pollen) may well be an issue....

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 08:48:30 pm »
@Anke I have some radishes at this stage - are you eating the green pods or waiting till they go brown?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit. :innocent:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:11:55 am »
Thomson&Morgan used to sell a variety specifically for eating the pods, which were larger than normal radish seed pods.  I think it might have been called Munchen Bier (apologies for the lack of an umlaut - I don't know how to make my keyboard spit one out)  I didn't find them any superior to normal radish pods.  I let a patch go to seed this year too, but only a couple of plants actually set seed at all, so I let them mature and sprinkle themselves around - my idea of perennials  ;D
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:11 am »
@Anke I have some radishes at this stage - are you eating the green pods or waiting till they go brown?

No, you eat them green. Just a wee snack here, not many have set seeds, though the bees and other insects are very busy in there just now.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 07:25:27 am »
Thomson&Morgan used to sell a variety specifically for eating the pods, which were larger than normal radish seed pods.  I think it might have been called Munchen Bier (apologies for the lack of an umlaut - I don't know how to make my keyboard spit one out)  I didn't find them any superior to normal radish pods.  I let a patch go to seed this year too, but only a couple of plants actually set seed at all, so I let them mature and sprinkle themselves around - my idea of perennials  ;D

Thanks, I have checked München Bier out, will give them a try next spring. (German keyboard has "Umlauts" on its main set of keys....)

home grown cabbage seed

Started by cloddopper

Replies: 5
Views: 1852
Last post October 30, 2013, 12:08:04 am
by cloddopper
radishes.

Started by Glaswegian

Replies: 5
Views: 1455
Last post May 01, 2010, 11:39:17 pm
by Annie22
Radish pods

Started by Cinderhills

Replies: 4
Views: 1340
Last post October 16, 2011, 09:03:49 am
by Blonde
radishes - long and skinny!

Started by plumseverywhere

Replies: 4
Views: 1526
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:05:18 am
by northfifeduckling
Anyone have an ingenious idea to stop mice eating pea pods?

Started by Fleecewife

Replies: 8
Views: 1496
Last post February 12, 2018, 12:11:09 am
by Fleecewife

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS