Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Size of compost bin  (Read 4584 times)

naturelovingfarmer

• Joined May 2021
  • Ohio River Valley
Re: Size of compost bin
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 05:42:15 pm »
I just recently built a small bin out of 4 pallets and have a roof panel over there leaning on it, have to put up some framing for it and affix it thereupon. But if I don't hurry up about it all the compost will wash away. We get about 100 inches of rain in a year if my rain gauge is to be believed. Most of that between February and July. The pallet compost bin is inside the garden fence because it contains food waste and we don't want raccoons digging into it.

I'm going to need a bigger one soon. I was considering erecting a roof under which there would be room for a windrow of compost, the hot fast sort is better in big piles that steam when you break them open. Just have to be careful not to let them go too hot or they catch on fire. Had that happen once when I was in school for horticulture. The compost heap was made about 4 ft too tall and it was a hot day. The fire dept came out and soaked it. A week later it had gone anaerobic and we had to spread it out to dry it. It was a big damn mess. I'll never again make high nitrogen compost in piles bigger than 7 ft tall. 
Turn your problem into a solution. Learn new things. Adapt as you go. Plans should be fluid and subject to change. I start planning for things years in advance and by the time I do them they have usually changed radically.

"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8" ~Bodhidharma

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS