Author Topic: birds!  (Read 5159 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: birds!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 03:11:20 pm »
Passer-by : Oh, that's a very interesting device I see on your lawn.  What is it?

Householder : It's an elephant deterrent.

Passer-by : But we don't have elephants around here!

Householder : Yeah, works well, don't it?! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 04:18:12 pm »
@macgro, slugs are nocturnal and owls eat rodents not slugs and i dont know of any other bird that is both slug eating and nocturnal. Anyway slug pellets work brilliantly. And before anybody says anything, we dont have hedgehogs round here - the massive population of badgers we've got have seen to that. I dont speak any bird language so I cant put up a sign saying ' please birds, just eat the insects, not my veg'. Sounds as if the way to go is electronic so I' will give it ago and report back.
Ducks do fantastic job with the slugs  :thumbsup:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 04:52:35 pm »
I know you'll laugh, feel free.
A small highly visible bed away from the house and buildings well stocked for the birdlife , its also offers some occasional fresh meat, sitting in one of the poly-tunnels with the door open in direct line of sight, cant miss !

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 07:46:47 pm »
not as daft as it sounds rupert!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 11:35:32 pm »
Twirling CD's .. the buggers & butterflies  didn't like my music tastes so ate the veg instead as revenge
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS