Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to this, based in Devon  (Read 1523 times)

DonkeyKong

• Joined Sep 2020
New to this, based in Devon
« on: September 14, 2020, 10:59:27 am »
Hi All,

Great Forum you have here, been hoovering up info on this site for the last couple of weeks.

We moved to Devon from the South East 7yrs ago. Now in a position to buy a small plot of land to effectively use as an Allotment and this site has been a great source of info on what we can and cannot do (mostly cannot!) with it should we find something suitable.

Cheers

DK

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: New to this, based in Devon
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:53:48 pm »
Hi Donkey King and welcome to the TAS forum from sunny Shropshire. Do you know what size of land you will be looking for? I imagine land is pretty expensive in Devon but I could be wrong.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:32:49 am »
Hello and welcome from sunny Scotland.  Go for the largest parcel of land you can afford. Forget about holidays and going out, land is much more important.  Have fun  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SabineLove33

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 09:33:27 am »
Hallo and welcome,
I am new here as well. And I am really grateful for all the information I can find. :)
This source is helping a lot. Now I know much more about what to do with the land. It is really so important. There is so much to do with it. Amazing!

DonkeyKong

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 10:02:40 pm »
Thanks for the welcome,

We were only looking for a couple of acres, obviously land with no buildings etc can be bought for 10k ish an acre still, but we are looking for something within 10 miles of our home which limits things a little (although plenty of farming land around here)

I have seen over lockdown plenty of of land has been going SSTC very quickly.

Cheers

DK

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 01:22:14 am »
"SSTC" - what does that mean?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 07:32:47 am »
"SSTC" - what does that mean?

Sold Subject To Contract
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 07:51:47 am »
Hello and welcome, good luck with your search for land. Not sure where your looking in Devon but land around here isn’t cheap, in fact small plots can be darn expensive  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

DonkeyKong

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 10:39:39 am »
We have been to see a couple of plots, purely Agricultural, no buildings. At sub 5 acres plots, it seems to be around 15k per acre, I do think that's expensive. Looking at South Devon, we are reasonably close you Jonah (if you are still in Torquay)
It seems land is following the route of housing here, places coming up at what me and the missus think are total kite flying prices and yet they "seem" to be selling very quickly, may have wait a year or so and see if it calms downs a bit.

Cheers DK

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 06:41:47 am »
Hi , that seems about right. If you’re looking in a desirable location with decent access and any sort of building on it such as a stable Your looking at 20k plus an acre. .... and they’re gone in a wink :-\
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 09:52:13 pm »
Hi , that seems about right. If you’re looking in a desirable location with decent access and any sort of building on it such as a stable Your looking at 20k plus an acre. .... and they’re gone in a wink :-\

Too many people clearly have too much disposable income !!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 09:38:50 am »
 :wave: from  :sunshine: Carnoustie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS