Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: manure in vegetable garden  (Read 2052 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
manure in vegetable garden
« on: September 13, 2020, 06:41:29 pm »
I just emptied a compost bin which is from chicken bedding, so mainly manure and wood chips with some seaweed - it's beautiful (if you like that sort of thing) crumbly black compost - do you think it's safe to use chicken manure in the vegetable garden? I was once warned not to use it with anything you'd eat raw but it looks sooo good.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: manure in vegetable garden
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:03:20 pm »
I use it my veg garden. As long as you wash your raw veg it should be fine.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 11:42:57 pm »
If the compost/FYM looks and smells lovely then the breakdown processes will have destroyed the sorts of bacteria people worry about.  Fresh slurry or manure cannot be used as it will contain pathogens (and would burn the plants).  Some people wash their fresh veg with something which is supposed to destroy soil bacteria (the same people who call 'soil' 'dirt'), but after you've grown such wonderful produce why would you then cover it with chemicals?  Our bodies are designed to work with a certain number of pathogens and to deal with them by our inbuilt defence system. As long as you wash off with clean water any grainy bits which would spoil the salad you'll be fine.  Good compost is gold  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 12:14:21 am »
Most of my veg were grown in partly rotted goat manure. I just dug holes which I filled with shop compost and planted into that. Always produced wonderful crops. I shall miss that when I finally run out.

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:36:04 pm »
Thanks, consensus is to use it! Yay

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS