Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Separating a pregnant pig  (Read 2935 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Separating a pregnant pig
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:28:12 am »
Hi all , I have a couple of GOS guilts of which one is due to farrow mid October. I know that she should be put in a separate enclosure 2 weeks before. The two pigs are sisters and have been together since birth with no problems.
They will if separated  have adjoining enclosures separated by a gate. I’m not sure how they’ll take this so I’m wondering if they could stay together until a few days before her due date. May be worrying unnecessarily but any advice is appreciated ????
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Separating a pregnant pig
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 12:29:46 pm »
If they can still see each other it shouldn't be a problem. As they get nearer to farrowing they often get a bit grumpy with their companions. Make sure piglets can't get from one pen to the other. They are often very lively within minutes literally and go wandering off before the sow finishes farrowing at feeds them.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:58:30 am »
Hi, many thanks for the reply. I will follow your advice.. if I can I hope to get her to one of my stables in the last few days . All set up for her and piglets with heat lamps etc....That’s the ideal world but if she decides not to move she has a large ark to herself with farrowing rails .

If she farrows in the stables how long should I keep them there before moving them back to her new accommodation?. They will have a small secure concrete area outside the stable as well.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:56:33 am »
The advantage of your stable over the farrowing ark is that should you have a problem it will be easier/safer to deal with in the stable. However, if you want them to go back out to the ark then why not farrow her in there?

I would think they need to be at least two weeks before you put them back out, certainly off the heat lamp, and the weather not inclement.

Farrowing arks should have a piece across the door so piglets can't get out initially and wander off. And a fender around the entrance so when they first come out they can't go too far but the sow can step over and go and toilet.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:19:48 pm »
Many thanks thought as much....will do, how about piglet reading material  I thought reading them a few pages of Each, Peach , pear, plum, ..... Those of you with kids will laugh at that that . Sorry but loon as I am I have a talking stool, pigs get a daily digest of life  narrated to them as I feed them from the “talking stool” :innocent: :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:15:37 am by Jonah by nature »

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:06:55 pm »
Hi , many thanks for all the advice. Moved Bunty to her separate quarters today without any problems . Her sister and her can see each other through the adjoining gate and fence and they seem chilled with that.

Will worm her tomorrow and finish cleaning and disinfecting her stable maternity suite. Any advice regarding useful things to hand in during the farrowing?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:14:41 am »
It is extremely rare that you need to do anything but observe from a distance. Have a board ready in case you have to go in for your own safety. If you go in close door behind you but leave unlatched in case a quick escape is needed. A walking stick is useful for hooking piglets out of harms way as the sow can get up and down during the farrowing. Not too much bedding that piglets get stuck or lost under it. I like shavings and some straw. Water well away from bed or when she nests she may tip container up and wet the bedding. Usual things to hand like hot water, towels, bucket for cleansing and clean bedding for area after you have picked up cleansing. Look forward to the birth report  :)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 09:08:34 pm »
As her due date approaches... Bunty decides to check out the maternity suite  :excited:

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 09:12:44 pm »
Walking stick at the ready, hanging top right as advised by Harmony????

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 09:33:08 am »
At last Bunty has given up the goods! Gave birth to 9 piglets last night. One stillbirth found on the placenta later. All are feeding well and active....Question? How much to feed mother now? .Gave her big bucket of feed  this morning that seemed to satisfy her, sorry didn’t measure it????

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 10:42:04 am »
Great news  :excited: :love: :thumbsup:

They need a gradual increase through lactation. At this stage the piglets don't take that much but that will change as they grow. A guide is sows daily ration plus pound per piglet by weaning time.

At this stage I find sows either want more or they don't. They sometimes need extra after farrowing but then start to leave some once they feel replenished after the birth and then build up again. If she is leaving extra cut back.

I find with first timers they need more to sustain body condition from earlier on.

Also by the time you get to big feeds they need feeding more than once a day.

As always monitor sow condition.

If you are going to creep feed it takes some pressure off the sow.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 06:57:44 am »
Many thanks for the advice. Mother and piglets seem to be doing well. All have been munching at the earth sods I’ve put in the pen so iron deficiency shouldn’t be a problem. Mother was on pasture until confined  :fc:

Have found she hated the concrete floor so I’ll try to get her out for one of our walks down to her favourite oak tree.... not to mention the acorns :thumbsup:

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 06:06:41 am »
It was going so well! Bunty went down with mastitis a couple of days ago.... calls to the vet , marathon dashes to get milk , teats , and medication (sounded like the vet didn’t fancy injecting a pig). So another peg on the learning curve!
Luckily the meds released her milk really quickly so no need to hand feed :relief: few days later and she’s looking a lot better. Piglets are very healthy and growing at an alarming rate ... and have already learned to leap the barrier to keep them in the stable. Despite this I can still say I love my pigs :thumbsup:

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 06:18:06 pm »
Well despite the ups and downs all is going well. Bunty and her piglets are thriving in their free range accommodation. Now 4 weeks old tomorrow and and have been eating weaner pellets since week 2! Now jostling me at the gate for said feed. Put out piglet water drinkers yesterday and appear to be using them. Their progress never ceases to amaze me! Questions how much weaner pellets to Feed them ? I put down about 2 lb between 9 of them , leave them for a while and then if they are looking for more I repeat it . They are also eating apple , red cabbage, and carrots. Am I doing it right??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS