Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Separating a pregnant pig  (Read 194 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Separating a pregnant pig
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:28:12 am »
Hi all , I have a couple of GOS guilts of which one is due to farrow mid October. I know that she should be put in a separate enclosure 2 weeks before. The two pigs are sisters and have been together since birth with no problems.
They will if separated  have adjoining enclosures separated by a gate. I’m not sure how they’ll take this so I’m wondering if they could stay together until a few days before her due date. May be worrying unnecessarily but any advice is appreciated ????
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Separating a pregnant pig
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 12:29:46 pm »
If they can still see each other it shouldn't be a problem. As they get nearer to farrowing they often get a bit grumpy with their companions. Make sure piglets can't get from one pen to the other. They are often very lively within minutes literally and go wandering off before the sow finishes farrowing at feeds them.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:58:30 am »
Hi, many thanks for the reply. I will follow your advice.. if I can I hope to get her to one of my stables in the last few days . All set up for her and piglets with heat lamps etc....That’s the ideal world but if she decides not to move she has a large ark to herself with farrowing rails .

If she farrows in the stables how long should I keep them there before moving them back to her new accommodation?. They will have a small secure concrete area outside the stable as well.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:56:33 am »
The advantage of your stable over the farrowing ark is that should you have a problem it will be easier/safer to deal with in the stable. However, if you want them to go back out to the ark then why not farrow her in there?

I would think they need to be at least two weeks before you put them back out, certainly off the heat lamp, and the weather not inclement.

Farrowing arks should have a piece across the door so piglets can't get out initially and wander off. And a fender around the entrance so when they first come out they can't go too far but the sow can step over and go and toilet.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:19:48 pm »
Many thanks thought as much....will do, how about piglet reading material  I thought reading them a few pages of Each, Peach , pear, plum, ..... Those of you with kids will laugh at that that . Sorry but loon as I am I have a talking stool, pigs get a daily digest of life  narrated to them as I feed them from the “talking stool” :innocent: :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:15:37 am by Jonah by nature »

Separating a new born piglet from its mum

Started by Tamsaddle

Replies: 8
Views: 2520
Last post September 07, 2012, 07:02:19 pm
by Berkshire Boy
How will we know if our pig is pregnant

Started by piggy

Replies: 6
Views: 28321
Last post November 10, 2008, 09:56:20 pm
by Malc
Pig - Not pregnant Again

Started by velcro

Replies: 9
Views: 4492
Last post March 15, 2009, 05:20:34 pm
by Pigtails
Help is my sow pregnant or not?????

Started by Gazza

Replies: 9
Views: 3622
Last post October 29, 2009, 10:14:43 am
by Snoopy
Pregnant .........or not?

Started by Stanley

Replies: 5
Views: 2447
Last post December 08, 2009, 08:01:27 pm
by little blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS