Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat minerals  (Read 1606 times)

FarmWheller

• Joined Aug 2020
Goat minerals
« on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:31 pm »
Hello all,
I was wondering what mineral mixes/licks you would recommend? I have one soon-to-be-milker and a young whether.
I'd prefer organic if possible but am open to hearing about anything that anyone has found helpful and more suited to the UK - most of the information I seem to find online seems to be based in the USA (very low selenium) or Australia (low in everything - based off of Pat Coleby's work)

Thanks!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Goat minerals
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 12:26:08 am »
I found Caprivite had the best results. Just a little added to their feeds.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:29:31 am »
What used to be Red Rockies as a lick in their pen (Mini size), they are white now (but still Rockies). I also offer seaweed, just a handful every so often, I now know some of mine who will always polish it off and others never... You will struggle to get organic seaweed though, I just use the NAF ones now.

I also have some baking soda, again offer every so often, more in spring and early summer as then grass is fresh and more likely to cause mild bloat.

Mummyhen

• Joined May 2020
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:06:35 pm »
Hi,
I've just registered, to hopefully get some help, as Iam a new goat mum.
Just had two 5 month old Pygmy goats for 8 days.
Getting on Fine, but bought a mineral block, my vet said it had too much sugar in, bad for their teeth.
So been told to get Himalayan salt lick, do I let the kids have it available 24/7? as worried too much salt is bad. Sorry to bother you, but I fret about my little babies.
Thank you

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:05 pm »
Hi,
I've just registered, to hopefully get some help, as Iam a new goat mum.
Just had two 5 month old Pygmy goats for 8 days.
Getting on Fine, but bought a mineral block, my vet said it had too much sugar in, bad for their teeth.
So been told to get Himalayan salt lick, do I let the kids have it available 24/7? as worried too much salt is bad. Sorry to bother you, but I fret about my little babies.
Thank you

The (what used to be) Red Rockies are pure salt licks, no sugar. The "Red" ones are the ones for goats, as they are higher in copper, which goats need. Your vet is right, they definitely will not need those kind of licks (usually horse ones). The himalayan is good as well. They will only take what they need, not more.

Enjoy your goaties!

Are they girls, boys or wethers?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS