Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wet ground-clay soil-drainage  (Read 2095 times)

Sam85

• Joined Aug 2020
Wet ground-clay soil-drainage
« on: August 26, 2020, 09:28:20 am »
HI everyone, we have a back field which is very wet and boggy. Our garden is above it, with the lowest part of the field nearest the garden bank- this is where the water pools first in a flood. I am looking to find ways to help it drain faster/better. The field is at the bottom of a hill, which is in the shape of a horseshoe, so all the rain that falls, eventually ends up in our field. We keep sheep in it in the summer time. We do not own any of the adjacent land. There is a drain  but the ground is heavy clay soil, so does retain water. In the last year i have planted hedges & a willow/ash coppice around the perimeter to store runoff and increase water infiltration. I might plant more trees to help soak up the water. Any suggestions welcome.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Wet ground-clay soil-drainage
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 12:08:35 am »
We are on clay and more clay. Drainage is really a waste of money and if you can divert the surface water to a drain, that seems to be the cheapest way, it only has to be a spades depth to be effective.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 05:21:24 am »
Clay here too and I agree with Honeyend, diverting the water is the only effective way to stop it collecting in your field.It doesn't sound like that is possible in your case though? I would be cautious about planting trees as they may male the situation worse. In the summer the will dry out the fields which will mean more surface run off if a flash flood, in the winter they will be dormant so won't actually help then either. They would also prevent any wind drying out the field too.

Sam85

• Joined Aug 2020
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:50:25 pm »
Thanks for your posts guys. I thought trees would help soak up excess water in the summer and then their leaf litter would increase the organic matter in the soil, thereby making more water infiltrate it, even during the winter months. The canopy would also infiltrate the rain as it falls. The aim would be to use these trees as a coppice for firewood in the future, as well as assist my drainage issues.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 02:45:58 pm »
Thanks for your posts guys. I thought trees would help soak up excess water in the summer and then their leaf litter would increase the organic matter in the soil, thereby making more water infiltrate it, even during the winter months. The canopy would also infiltrate the rain as it falls. The aim would be to use these trees as a coppice for firewood in the future, as well as assist my drainage issues.

I would agree with you Sam. You want something to soak up the water in summer so plants can grow, and the sheep don't get waterlogged. And the trees themselves, along with the leaf mould will certainly slow down water runoff. In addition, the added organic matter is exactly what you want for a heavy soil, as the worms will incorporate it in the top layers and make it a lot more workable, and porous. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Sam85

• Joined Aug 2020
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:51:58 am »
Thanks landroverroy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS