Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Replacement Ear Tags  (Read 3464 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Replacement Ear Tags
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 06:52:24 pm »
As Sally says it has always been free replica replacement  for life if you buy over 200 tags in one lot , so buying 300 per year the the 10 to 20 tags that were lost annually i got quickly for free plus upgrades of the pliers every few years free as well . Replicas for tags lost from purchased rams , i have been buying for maybe 8-9 yrs

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 09:30:41 pm »
Out of interest, what are the regs when a tag’s literally ripped out and the ear is impossible to re-tag? I have a ewe like this and her ear is now two flaps. She still has her EID tag. She came to me like this, and I’m due to sell her on touch wood.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 10:46:15 pm »
Going to be ignorant and ask what a pastern tag is??

The two flaps are really thin - I don’t think safe re-tagging would be possible as she could easily just rip it out again and her ear would be even more shredded!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 08:12:27 am »
Pastern tag is a leg band.

Is there anything to say the tags can’t go in the same ear ?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 10:15:13 am »
Pastern tag is a leg band.

Is there anything to say the tags can’t go in the same ear ?

I'm pretty sure there isn't. I have some double tagged in the same ear. I also used to use a coloured 'marker' tag in some lambs out of particular ewes/rams, just so I knew which rams sired which lambs. I don't like Tagging lambs at birth, my lambs are feb born and spend a lot of the first few months with their heads through stock fence eating the hedge!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 10:36:06 am »
Depends on how you are selling her ,if going for killing then the EID tag will be fine ,if privately for breeding then you could hand the tag over to her new owner . Personally i have never failed to get a tag in on the  odd  split ears or even on the odd sheep that has lost most of its ear ( yellowsis ) the nearer to the head the stronger the ear

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 12:29:04 pm »
Not sneaky at all, it is made very clear when you initially order. 
I did not order the tags which require replacements, but it was certainly not made VERY clear to me when I ordered my own tags that free replacements were only for orders of 200 or more. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS